LL-L "Lexicon" 2003.02.16 (13) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Feb 16 22:17:12 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.FEB.2003 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ruud Harmsen <rh at rudhar.com>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.16 (10) [E]

13:19 16-2-2003 -0800, Lowlands-L:
>Secondly, _queuing_ cannot of course be an American
>form, as the word _queue_ is absent in American
>English.

Is it? I see no marks in my dictionaries. What is it replaced by
then, like in the technical sense, as a data structure in programming?
--
http://rudhar.com

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Ruud (above) responding to Ian Parsley's message under "Orthography":

> 13:19 16-2-2003 -0800, Lowlands-L:
> >Secondly, _queuing_ cannot of course be an American
> >form, as the word _queue_ is absent in American
> >English.
>
> Is it? I see no marks in my dictionaries. What is it replaced by
> then, like in the technical sense, as a data structure in programming?

"Queue" *is* used in American English, albeit far more rarely and mostly in
specialized jargon, such as in computer programming and networking jargon.
It is true that Americans do not use "queue" and "queuing" with reference to
people standing in line, in which cases "line" and "lining up" tend to be
used instead.  I dare say that many American speakers will  not understand
the words, certainly not easily when used in this latter sense.  I had to
switch from "queue" to "line" when I moved to the United States.

From: Alannah Stepa <astepa at shaw.ca>
Subject: Frank Verhoft's request for information

I sent a personal reply to Frank indicating that I had gone to work in
Holland many years ago and I did not have a big problem learning the
language as so many of the words are similar to English with changes to
spelling and pronunciation. They also use many French words and I had
studied that in school.
Some phrases I never really understood the translation of nor the use of
them in different situations.
The main problem myself, and other English people had was with phone numbers
because of the formatting of the numbers in pairs, not our standardized 3
and 4 groupings.
The ij letter in words is a more logical use in many words such as ijs, mij,
dijk than the English forms, ice, my, dyke.

The Japanese have problems with articles and prepositions as they do not
exist in the Japanese language. For the past five years we have had Japanese
college students living with us and I spent 2 years tutoring university
English to another Japanese boy.
TOEFL, (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is written in American, not
Canadian, so for school here, in Canada, they have to use the English
spelling but to write the exam they have to learn American.
They have some problems learning "English" because our word processors are
formatted to American not "English" and when they type in a correct English
spelling their computer will indicate a spelling error.