LL-L "Transliteration" 2003.02.14 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 18 16:53:52 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.FEB.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Stan Levinson <stlev99 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Transliteration" 2003.02.14 (06) [E]

Folks,
When Ron first wrote "Thora", I thought it was some
kind of mistake, having never seen this.  The
"thaw/taw" alternation, as well as other Hebrew
letters taking the "dot" in them, is never the case of
two independently existing letters, as far as I know.
It is always a case of grammatically driven
alternation.  Thus "thaw" realized as "s" ("th" in
ancient Hebrew) is impossible at the beginning of the
word except as related to something before it in the
phrase.  The same goes for "p/f", "k/kh", "b/v".
Stan

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Transliteration

Hey, Stan!

Was it I who wrote <Thorah>?  I think it was Roger or someone he quoted.  I
usually write it <Torah>, though slip-ups are always possible (at least
these days).

Thanks for confirming that a Thaw cannot occur initially.