LL-L "What does it mean?" 2003.02.19 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 19 15:22:05 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.FEB.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Andrew Howey <andyandmae_howey at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: LL-L "What does it mean?" 2003.02.14 (12) [E]

Hi, Roger:

Normally, when it's not being used as a noun as in "freak of nature",
"freak" would typically occur in combination with words like "occurrence" or
"circumstance", and it would mean an unusual (and probably unintended)
happening.  That's the sense that I get from the quote that you included.

Andy Howey

====
From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc.
Subject: Vocabulary

What does "freak" mean in this context: a "joke"?

quote Times on-line:
[...] Sir Alex Ferguson, the Manchester United manager, today refused to
apologise for the David Beckham eyebrow injury.
At a press conference at Old Trafford ahead of tomorrow’s Champions’
League
clash with Juventus, Sir Alex laughed off the incident, which he again
described as "a freak".[...]

quoting from the preceeding message:
[...] Allegations that Ferguson then threw a boot, a punch or aimed a kick
at Beckham have been strongly denied by sources at Old Trafford, but the cut
above the player’s eye confirms that, in his anger, the manager lashed out
at a stray boot on the dressing-room floor and drew blood. Beckham has been
accused of responding by spitting at his manager and the pair are said to
have been separated by players.[...]

Regards,
Roger

Euro-Support, Inc. www.euro-support.be
Executive Interim Management
B 2640 Mortsel, A. Segerslei, 151
F 59800 Lille, 8 rue du Maréchal de Lattre de Tassigny
Wilmington DE 19801, 1220 North Market Street, Suite 606