LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.19 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 19 20:54:31 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.FEB.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ian James Parsley <parsleyij at yahoo.com>
Subject: Orthography

Criostóir,

Yes, but you can't 'disagree' with *fact*, Criostóir!

No, _color_ etc are *not* 'valid alternatives' in
British English. _Color_ is clearly marked in any
British dictionary as a US spelling (if it is given at
all). Whereas _judgement_ and _judgment_ (and other
examples I gave) are both equally valid options in any
British English dictionary you care to consult.
Neither is marked 'US', 'Aus', 'legal' or anything
else. Both are equally valid. In short, no
British-English copywriter will mark either 'wrong',
but they *would* mark _color_ 'wrong'.

As a result, you will find the options I mentioned in
various British publications and their style guides
(as I said, some broadsheets like _realise_, others
like _realize_).

There *are* options in British English (as there are
in American English, but I am not qualified really to
discuss them). You may feel this *shouldn't* be the
case, but with respect it *is* currently the case,
whether you like it or not!

Regards,
Ian James Parsley,
Co Down, Northern Ireland.