LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.19 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 19 22:42:24 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.FEB.2003 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.19 (06) [E]
Ian wrote:

"There *are* options in British English (as there are
in American English, but I am not qualified really to
discuss them). You may feel this *shouldn't* be the
case, but with respect it *is* currently the case,
whether you like it or not!"

I understand what you mean, Ian, but what I am saying is this: "judgment" is
*not* an option or alternative in Non US-English for "judgement" - it is an
Americanism or vulgarism that would be automatically corrected by editors,
teachers, lecturers or even on Countdown, regardless of whether it is in
dictionaries or not. "Magick" is also in most dictionaries - and so an
"option" in your parlance - but any pupil or student who habitually
attempted it as a replacement for "magic" would have a swift and rude
awakening. Likewise "shew" is a theoretical "alternative" for "show" but it
would be laughed out of any text these days as you're well aware.

Perhaps "judgment", "queuing", "magick", etc. *were* alternatives or options
in Non-US English *once*, but they certainly aren't nowadays. They are too
associated with *perceived* Americanisms or vulgarisms or - simply -
mis-spellings.

And that, as bizarre as it may be, is *also* a fact.

Go raibh mile maith agat

Criostóir.