LL-L "Names" 2003.02.19 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 19 22:56:43 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.FEB.2003 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.02.19 (05) [E/LS/V]

Hi, Ron, Lowlanners,

You wrote:

> I hope you had a good time in Lunenburg.  It's a pretty city with a lot of
> interesting sites, originally the home of Slavonian-speaking
> Draveno-Polabians.
>
> Aulet Baste,
> Reinhard/Ron

Is there any UG-name for those our ancestors? I've never heard about them!

B.T.W.: I don't think them having lived WITHIN the old"en" Lunen-"burg" in
special, but just in the next (e.g. "Wendisch Evern" or similar), because
those Germanic (German??)  (UG) "Burgen" (E) "castles" had been built
against the Slavians in basic purpose.
Though- as far as I know there was a very friendly commonship between
germanic and slavonic people in that special region even at that early times
(early middle-ages). It did- for example-  look differently from the Baltic
regions of Holstein, where sudden attacks from Slavonian boat bounded bands
(hey!) had been a plague for centuries.

Regards

Fiete.