LL-L "Names" 2003.02.21 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Feb 21 15:40:25 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 21.FEB.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: lingoman at webtv.net <lingoman at webtv.net>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.02.20 (01) [E]

Ron, I have to agree with William Parker that Frankfurt is the only form
now used in the English-speaking world.  There is indeed an English
form, but it is Frankfort with a t, not Frankford with a d... (Random
House Dictionary of the English Language, 2nd ed., gives the fully
English Frankfort on the Main, Frankfort on the Oder)

Many of these English names are vanishing, for the reasons others
mentioned, and personally I  am not sorry to lose such confusing names
as Leghorn (Livorno!)

Sean Roach