LL-L "Resources" 2003.02.22 (07) [D/E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Feb 22 20:36:54 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.FEB.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Frank Verhoft <frank.verhoft at skynet.be>
Subject: Books on Dutch

Hi Ron,

A few suggestions for the list of off line resources:

DUTCH
It's amazing / a shame that there is hardly any recent publication on Old
Dutch written in... Dutch, which is reflected in the terrific reading list.
Last year, though, one tiny booklet was published:
<<<A. Quak & J.M. van der Horst: Inleiding Oudnederlands. Leuven,
Universitaire Pers Leuven, 2002.
ISBN: 90 5867 207 7

A rather old book on historical grammar is:
<<<M.J. van der Meer: Historische Grammatik der Niederländischen Sprache.
Heidelberg, Carl Winter's Universitätsbuchhandlung, 1927.

Another valuable book is:
<<<Nicole van der Sijs: Leenwoordenboek. De invloed van andere talen op het
Nederlands. Den Haag/ Antwerpen, Sdu/Standaard Uitgeverij, 1996.
It's certainly not a dictionary or a list of loanwords, but a thorough
history of Dutch, loanwords in Dutch (and cultural contacts).

One additional note (and really, it's a detail!): the prefix number of books
published by Dutch and Flemish publishing houses is 90-, not 9-.

Best regards,

Frank

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Resources

Thanks a lot, Frank.  I'll add those titles to our Dutch Offline Resource
List
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/offline.htm) as soon as possible.

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>

It's always a pleasant surprise to find a language, declared dead, to be in
reality very much alive.

This Friday evenening I went to a theatre play in the local "Overmaas"
dialect in Hombourg, officially a "French-only" village (now part of
Plombières) in Belgium.

I published the program and the ID-song of the theatre group on URL:
http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/%7Etpm09245/lang/lg/om/homb1.htm

The place was sold out (260 places) for a second evening.

Bleyberg center (Plombières) has also had a play in their dialect variant
last December-January (3 evenings).

For next weeks: just a play in dialect for Gemmenich in April is announced
on the website of Plombières, but Montzen will also have a play in dialect
mid March, I learned in Hombourg.

This is a mixt language area: In Hombourg there will also be played in
French ("La Soupière") for 2 evenings (mid March)

As to the language:
It is very much more central Limburgish as the variants of the Overmaas
villages Montzen & Gemmenich (As to intonation, current expressions, both
are very close to my home dialect, some more German vocabulary, just a few
French words more as e.g.: congélateur, aspirateur).
Some differences (as on the leaflets on the URL):
in my dialect (West-Limburgish): for child, children: keind, kénger; they
use also "keng" singular.
Diminutives pretty much similar: lied_che_, but stoek_ske_

As to orthography:
this is not very stable:
ä, ö, u in the program, ae, oe, ou in the leaflet with the text of the song
both "vrouw "and "vrow" occuring in the program.
"ganze" in the song text, but pronounced "jantse" (Ripuarian initial g).

For me, language behaviour in this area is a curiosity. People speak dialect
in their own family, but generally French with other families. This
behaviour is shared with people from the Eupen area.

I was in Eupen this week, for a quick lunch in Lunch Garden, and I like
observing:
Family A: parents + 2 kids: talk German with each other
Family B: parents + 3 kids: talk dialect Öpes, or close to Öpes
Service personnel: talk German with each other.
Family A speaking with the service personnel: in French
Family B speaking with the service personnel: in French.

The name of the municality Homb(o)urg (almost: Hamburg?) in dialect: written
"Homereg" on the leaflet, but rather pronounced "Hommerrech".

Regards,

Roger