LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.22 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Feb 22 23:08:57 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.FEB.2003 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.22 (06) [D/E/L/LS/German/Russian]

Chris Pilkington wrote:
"Sorry Criostoir, but your contention that _judgment_
is not 'allowable' or 'conventional' is simply wrong.
This is not a personal assault on you, only on your
argument, because it is fundamentally flawed. Apart
from sweeping and often inaccurate generalisms you
have not produced a shred of evidence to support your
case, whereas there is plenty to support Ian's.
I would respectfully suggest that this list includes
many language learners, such as myself, and we need to
be as sure as we can that the information we receive
on spelling conventions and usage is accurate."

Welcome, Chris. That's quite a first post.

Firstly, as far as I am aware - and Ron may correct me on this - no-one
contributing to this list should have to censor their opinions for the
benefit of so-called language learners. Insinuating that I am disseminating
"inaccurate" misinformation to vulnerable language learners merely by
disagreeing with Ian strikes me as patronising and pompous. Professional
editors can be disagreed with - no-one has a monopoly on those wonderfully
subjective terms "right" and "wrong". I abhor the absolutist terms "right"
and "wrong" and never use them - I disagree with opinions, is all.
Discussions become heated arguments when "right" and "wrong" start being
thrown around and this is a discussion list, not an argument list.

Secondly, I thoroughly agree with you that I lack sufficient evidence to
support my contentions. That is a major flaw, I agree. However, I do not
have immediate access to every dictionary from 1945-2003 when I post, I have
precious little time in which to contribute and so in this case at least I
admit I have come up short on proof. If I had more resources I would provide
you with a veritable shredder bin full of evidence for your delectation
(although I doubt any of it would be to your taste as you seem to have
already decided that I am "fundamentally flawed" and "inaccurately general"
in my argument). As it happens I do not and so I playfully suggested that
Ian himself attempt to get "judgment" and his other so-called options
through Fleet Street's orthographical iron curtain.

I hope this clarifies the discussion for you, as you seem to have taken it
far more seriously than you perhaps should have.

Go raibh maith agat

Criostóir.