LL-L "Morphology" 2003.02.24 (01) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Feb 24 17:49:06 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 24.FEB.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2003.02.23 (03) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Morphology
>
> Hello, Theo!
>
> Sorry I was preoccupied and forgot about your first
> request regarding dual
> forms, which I myself find fascinating too.
>
> I am sure it doesn't come as news to you when I say
> that the dual is still
> used in Icelandic.  (I am not sure about Faeroese.)

I didn't know. I haven't been there for a time, but I
guess that the dual is to be found in your Icelandic
grammarbook [because of the Oldicelandic], but not in
nowadays Icelandic.

> > As far as I know lowl.ll. use the dualis only in
> some Frisian villages on the German coast: 'wat'
> [we-both] and 'jat' [you-both]. So I was informed
some 25 years ago by 2 linguists who had their origins
there.
> Are you referring to Frisian varieties of Germany,
> specifically North Frisian?

Yes, 'wat / jat' is Frisian.

> I have been "hoping" for at least traces of earlier
> dual use in Eastern Lowlands Saxon (Low German)
dialects, in part because they have West
> Slavonic substrates, and some of today's West
> Slavonic varieties still have
> the dual.  So I am not giving you the hoped-for
> reply, only join you in your
> quest.
>
> Does anyone know if there are any Kashubian
> varieties that use dual forms?
> (Kashubian is by many seen as the only surviving,
> easternmost branch of
> Pomeranian, and many LS dialects of Germany's Baltic
> Sea coast have West
> Pomeranian substrates.)
>
> Theo, the dual is still alive and kicking, almost
> totally intact, in Sorbian
> (Lusatian), a group of West Slavonic varieties
> unique to the area now under
> German administration, a group of dialects with two
> standard varieties:
> "Upper" and "Lower."  If you are interested in this
> (i.e., beyond Germanic),

I was looking for [petrified] dual-forms, but also for
special ways expressing a dual.

vr. gr. Theo Homan

----------

From: Peter Meylof <p.meylof at planet.nl>
Subject: Pronouns

Moi Loaglaanders,

Theo:

"I was waiting / hoping for something that isn't
coming: the dualis [we-both / you-both]."

Veur sowied ik weet, en ik bin laang gin expert, kenne wie in Twenthe
'wiebeaj(n)' en 'iebeaj(n)' of 'oebeaj(n)'. Den lestn met veursetsel: 'veur
oebeajn'. D'r bint leu dee 'wie-beaj' of 'wie beajn' as skriefwieze
prefereert, mear ak doaroawer begin, biw nog wa nen tiedje gangs.

Tiedns ne seance hef mie bet-oawergrootmoo disse info bevestigd.

Ik hoppe dat wiebeajn oe nen betje hölpn hebt.

Goodgoan,

Peter

Hello Theo !
>>From Eastern Friesland Low Saxon there isn't known any special dual form to
express we-both or you-both. It is simply wī bâjd / jī bâjd or sometimes
wī/jī baident. If there has been a dual in Frisian once it hasn't had any
influence on EFLS.
Kind greetings
Holger