LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.25 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 25 18:31:13 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.FEB.2003 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: luc.hellinckx at pandora.be <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Orthography

Beste Sandy,

Recently you wrote :

>It all starts with the idea that a word can't begin with <dg> and can't end
with <j>.

The English dictionary that I'm having (Van Dale), mentions the following
words though :

_hadj_, _raj_, _swaraj_, and _taj_ (of course they are loan words *s*)

Even the spelling _hajj_ with two final <j>'s is atttested.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: Ian James Parsley <parsleyij at yahoo.com>

Croistoir and Ron,

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you on _adviser_. The
_-or_ version should be banned and people who use it
imprisoned!

Not that I'm one to 'enforce my view' or anything...

Regards,

=====
Ian James Parsley
www.ianjamesparsley.net