LL-L "Grammar" 2003.02.26 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 26 16:28:31 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.FEB.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Dan Prohaska <prohaskadan at aol.com>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2003.02.25 (11) [E]

>Jim Gretch wrote:

(Gabriele:)
>> "Lay down, Sally"

>isn't as incorrect as it at first seems.

>This could actually be a case of an "understood" reflexive,
>i.e. "Lay (yourself) down, Sally."
> "Leg' dich hin, Sally."

>Of course, for the resulting position, one should
>always use "lying down."

(Gabriele:)
>> 2) This one really hurts, and I almost never see it
>> applied correctly (except on this forum not so long
>> ago): "It didn't used to be this way", or "I didn't
>> used to like her".
>> How can this not even sound "funny" to those who say that
>> instead of "didn't
>> use to"?

>Remember, though, that in *spoken* colloquial language,
>the initial "t-" of "to" colors (colours) the final
>"-d" of "used," so the two would sound virtually identical
>([ju.stu]). Because the writers are so "used to" the
>combination with "-d," they carelessly add it even
>when the past tense is already supplied by the "didn't"
>right in front of it.

I completely agree with Jim here.

Ian James Parsley wrote:

>My personal gripe numero uno is people saying 'He's
>stood over there' as opposed to 'He's standing over
>there'. Using the past participle indicates to me that
>someone is forcibly holding the person there - which
>is somewhat unlikely in most cases.

This is simply interference from dialect. In my opinion it is totally
acceptable in the spoken word. I also use it sometimes. It is widely used in
Lancashire and I dare say throughout most of northern England. It is correct
syntax in the traditional regional dialects of Lancashire. I`d put this
under regional variation. I actually like this construction very much.

>And then there are people who say 'between you and I'
>as a hypercorrection...
>And people who say 'Barcelona' with a lisp on the
><c>...

I fully agree with you here.

Dan

----------

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

Hello

Ian wrote

"My personal gripe numero uno is people saying 'He's
stood over there' as opposed to 'He's standing over
there'."

As this list accepts dialects without condemning them,
I have to say that "He's stood over there" and "He's
sat over there" are perfectly acceptable in the
Estuary dialect!! I would however not use them when
writing, but I do say them. It's one of the few places
where Estuary (and London) grammar differs from
standard English grammar.

So please don't hold a grudge against me for using my
local speech.

Gary