LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.26 (13) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Feb 27 00:55:26 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.FEB.2003 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ian James Parsley <parsleyij at yahoo.com>
Subject: Orthography

Thanks Chris,

I suspected there was a distinction (between _auld_
and _hauld_ - my spellings) in some dialects, most
interesting that you confirm it.

This of course opens up another problem of
standardization. Do you go with a system that is
etymologically based (in which case you would most
likely have _hauld_, _auld_, _cauld_, _fauld_ etc), or
based on current speech? If you go for the latter,
which dialect? Although pandialectal is largely
possible, we have now noted that East Central does
distinguish in the above case, whereas Ulster (at
least the dialects I'm familiar with) does not. To
throw another spanner in the works, however, there is
evidence that Ulster dialects *did* make a distinction
from Ulster Scots literature (where you find forms
such as _auld_, _haud_ and _caul_), and that the
reconvergence may be a 'reanglicization' - although
how reliable these sources are for phonology, we can't
tell.

All that said, with a bit of compromise and
commonsense, none of this is remotely insurmountable.

Best wishes,

=====
------------------
Ian James Parsley
www.ianjamesparsley.net
+44 (0)77 2095 1736
JOY - "Jesus, Others, You"

----------

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <godsquad at cox.net>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2003.02.25 (03) [E]

Has anyone considered totally phonemic spelling? That is, one letter - one
sound.
Ben

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Ben (above):

> Has anyone considered totally phonemic spelling? That is, one letter - one
> sound.

Don't even as much as try to suggest that, Ben (unless it's for a so far
unwritten language with no known relatives that use historical writing
systems)!  Sure.  Phonemic spelling is simple, but people don't seem to want
simple, prefer to stick to what they are familiar with, never mind how
burdensome it may be.   The usual defense (~ excuse) for clinging to
outmoded writing systems (in which you have to learn the spelling of each
and every word instead of learning the system once and then be done with it)
is that they preserve links with the past and give etymological
information -- as though that were the function of a writing system.  But --
"whaddever!" (said with a teenager's shrug).  If you want to mix things up a
bit, all you have to do is suggest a reform of an established writing
system.  That'll get them going.  It works like a charm everytime.

Cheers!