LL-L "Grammar" 2003.02.28 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Feb 28 16:07:34 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.FEB.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

Hi Ed

you wrote:

'So my question remains.  Is the use of one form or
the other a class
identifier in other places?  Please do not continue to
assume that this
questions represents a class or dialect prejudice on
my part.'

I think it's a mixture of both. Class in that my
mother used to correct me - probably due to being a
woman (no sexism intended, by sociolinguistic fact) -
and according to Labov, trying to better her class by
using a form perceived to be better, however, my
father never did. I have always used 'me and my
*wife*' forms (I'm not married - but just as an
example), and I wouldn't correct other native English
speakers, as to me it sounds perfectly natural, and I
think in Britain, at least, it is a standard form in
every variety apart from Standard English. However, as
an English teacher to people who don't have English as
a native language, I would correct them, as it's not
perceived as correct by everyone.

I would probably class myself as 'lower middle class',
however my dad would be proud to say that he is
'working class', thus the lack of correction.

Gary