LL-L "History" 2003.01.05 (09) [E/S]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 5 21:47:46 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.JAN.2003 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Colin Wilson <lcwilson at btinternet.com>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2003.01.03 (04) [E/S]

At 16:48 03/01/03, Chris Ferguson wrote:
>There is reference to an 1695 act - I can not find on in my readings. I can
>find a 1696 act -"act for settling of schools" - this was from the Scottish
>parliament - and was to partly to discourage the use of Gaelic.

The web-page whose URL I posted earlier mentions both acts. For the
former, it cites Acts of the Parliaments of Scotland 1695 Vol IX pp 448.

Guidwull tae awbodie,

Colin Wilson.

----------

From: Colin Wilson <lcwilson at btinternet.com>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2003.01.03 (07) [E]

At 20:18 03/01/03, Glenn Simpson wrote:
>Most national boundaries are fairly arbitary, indeed
>it should be remembered that the Scotland - England
>border is a political one not a linguistic one, since
>the language spoken on either side of the Tweed is the same.

I'm a bit surprised at this comment, as the border between
Scotland and England is a rare example of a linguistic isogloss
matching a political boundary almost exactly. I suppose it depends
on how you interpret the word "same". By all accounts you can tell
whether people are from Scotland or England by their tongue, even
in the case of those who have been raised in close proximity to
the border.

The location of the border itself isn't completely arbitary - it's
at the vicinity where Scotland's low-lying southern lands meet
England's northern mountain range, the Pennines.

Guidwull tae awbodie,

Colin Wilson.