LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.01.05 (14) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jan 6 02:20:56 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.JAN.2003 (14) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Glenn Simpson <westwylam at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2003.01.05

Dear Colin,

I know where you're coming from, we're not in
disagreement. I was speaking more in a general and
historic sense & was trying to stress the fact that
linguistic and cultural groups often have more in
common with each other on either side of politically
imposed boundaries. As you will know Scots Kings
coveted Northumberland for many a year (don't blame
'em!), indeed where I live in Tynedale, it was part of
the King of Scotland's lands for a while. So if
history had gone differently.....?

However, as Scots contributors have pointed out on
this site, Scots & Northumbrian probably have more in
common with each other than with Standard English,
which is not surprising given that they spring from
same old Northumbrian language brought to these
islands by the Angles. So basically both sides of the
Border have the same Anglian cultural heritage.

Just to go off on a tangent and to be contoversial -
do you think that some times more emphasis is given to
stressing Scotland's Celtic heritage rather than it's,
dare I say, Anglo-Saxon one?

Best wishes,

and Gan Canny

Glenn Simpson