LL-L "Etymology" 2003.01.07 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jan 7 17:29:56 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.JAN.2003 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.01.07 (04) [E]

As to the "Knust":

That's what my father, who hailed from Southern Lower Saxony, would call the
end piece of a loaf, too. My mother, who grew up in Mecklenburg, would say
"der Kanten". This is one item that has dozens of different names in
different German dialects and varieties. These names all seem to have
survived even in families who only speak High German at home, since it is
usually something that you don't talk about much outside of the family (not
because it's too scandalous, but because it's such a trivial, everyday
thing). The only other expresssion I remember now is the Hessian one my
grandmother used - "Knäppchen", or rather, "Knäppsche".

By the way, "Knust" is an entry in the 22nd edition of the German standard
"Duden" of 2000. There is, however, a word I miss in there, and it's one of
my Lower Saxon favourites. The word is "jökeln", which means something like
"driving around slowly and often aimlessly in a vehicle with rather bad
suspension". I am aware that this almost sounds like a quote from Douglas
Adams' "Meaning of Liff". Is there an equivalent for this in other Lowlands
languages?

Regards,
Gabriele Kahn

---------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Gabriele, Lowlanders,

I know and use _Kanten_ ['k_ha.ntn=] too.  However, justifiably or not, I
feel there is a slight difference in that _Knuust_ is the absolute and
*crusty* end of a longish loaf with "pointed" heels, while a _Kanten_ is
just a chunk of any type of bread broken or cut off the end of a loaf,
sometimes not even off the end -- just a *chunk* instead of a (thinner)
slice.  I would use it in examples like these:

D'n Knuust, d'n kreeg' de Jung. Daar müch he geern an knabbeln.
'The (crusty) heel would be for the boy. He loved nibbling and gnawing on
it.'

De Stalljung, de kreeg' man bloots 'n Kanten Grovbrood with 'n beten Smult
upsmeert.
'The stable boy would only get a chunk of rye bread with a bit of lard
spread on it.'

> The word is "jökeln", which means something like
> "driving around slowly and often aimlessly in a vehicle with rather bad
> suspension".

Ah, yes!  It's _jökeln_ [(d)jœ:kl=n] or _juckeln_ [(d)jUkl=n], similar to
German _juckeln_.  Some dialects make a difference: _jökeln_ 'to sway', 'to
teeter' (also 'to joke', 'to fool around') versus _juckeln_  'to chug
(along)', 'to trot wearily'.  It is almost the opposite of _karjolen_
[k_ha:'(d)jo.Ul=n] 'to drive/ride fast (and aimlessly and/or recklessly)',
from _Karjool_ [k_ha:'(d)jo.Ul] 'cariole' (< French < Old Provençal
_carriola_).

Cheers!