LL-L "Etymology" 2003.01.07 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jan 7 19:02:39 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.JAN.2003 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.01.07 (08) [E]

I, too, would say that the "Knust" is the tail end of the "Kanten". Of
course, this is probably a strange concept altogether for our American
friends... :-)

When I go shopping in Gremany, I usually put the bread at the bottom of the
bag because it is the one thing guaranteed not to be squished. When I first
lived in America, I did the same and ended up with either a bagful of crumbs
or one big piece of "pita".

As to "jökeln":

I am surprised that the Duden doesn't even list the alternative word
"juckeln", which I thought was also used in High German. But there is a
listing for "Jucker", which is defined as "a light (Hungarian) carriage
horse". Maybe there is a connection there. But it doesn't seem to be related
to "jucken" (to itch) in any way.

Gabriele Kahn

---------