LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.01.13 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jan 13 18:02:19 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.JAN.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: denis dujardin <dujardin at pandora.be>
Subject:  LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.01.12 (07) [E]

Hi You all,

It is clear that Afrikaans does not really sound as Dutch, whereas the
official
Dutch has a "Northern-Netherlands" "sound".
But it is also clear that Afrikaans sounds most like West-Flemish (or
Zeelandic), which in fact sounds quite different from "official" Dutch.
I used to work in Amsterdam, and when people heard me talking my
West-Flemish,
they asked me if I was Icelandic?.........

Another autobiographic fine example of the similarity between West-Flemish
and
Afrikaans, occured when I was part of the jury in an architecture-school
where
I sometimes lecture. There was this Afrikaanse student, who apologised for
his
language and wanted to explain his project in English.
As most members of the jury were West-Flemish, we urged him to talk in
Afrikaans, which was a joy for us because it was almost closer for us, than
the
official Dutch we have to use in those regular circumstances.

Denbis Dujardin
Kortrijk
(West)Flanders