LL-L "Language survival" 2003.07.01 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 03:19:30 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.JUL.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Mike" <botas at club-internet.fr>
Subject: Language survival

Dear Lowlanders,
Although not a LL language, the tiny
Sorbian language community tucked away
into a corner of Eastern Germany should
be close to the hearts of all lowlanders.
The alarming message I received and
am reproducing below speaks for itself.
There goes another facette of pluralistic
Europe...
Please join in sending messages to the
e-mail addresses given below
(of Saxony´s prime minister and his
minister for cultural affairs)
NB This "Saxony" has (almost) nothing
to do with our Lower Saxon LL language.
Ron has put a fascinating treatise on the
subject on the LL website.
(Ron, maybe you want to give the address,
I don´t have it at my fingertips.)

Quote:

End quote

Thank you, Mike Wintzer

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks, Mike.  Outside the Lowlands area I do take an interest in
Sorbian (Lusatian), a group of West Slavonic language varieties with two
standard varieties in the German states of Brandenburg and Saxony, and I
do so not only because I am partly of Sorbian descent.

Incidentally, there have been contacts between the northernmost
varieties of Lower Sorbian (in Brandenburg, near Berlin) and the
southeasternmost varieties of Lowlands Saxon (Low German) used in the
area of today's Germany.  The Sorbian-speaking region used to be much
larger than it is now, previously including, among other places, the
cities Dresden (Drježdzany [Drjez^dz'any]), Leipzig (Lipsk), Görlitz
(Zhorjelc), and some areas just east of today's German-Polish border.

> Ron has put a fascinating treatise on the
> subject on the LL website.
> (Ron, maybe you want to give the address,
> I don´t have it at my fingertips.)

This might be what you meant:
http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/low-saxon/lowsax.htm