LL-L "Games" 2003.07.09 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 21:20:49 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.JUL.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Lexicon"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Lexicon
>
> trump..............truv ~ truf (Truff) [trUf]
>                    truuv ~ truuf (Truuf) [tru:f]
> to trump...........truven ['tru:v=m]
>                    tryven ['try:v=m]
>                    tr yfen ['try:f=m]
>                    truffen ['trUf=m]

That's one I missed:

trump................trumph /trVmf/

I don't think there's a verb equivalent in Scots - it
would just be "he played his trumph" and such like.

Another popular game in Scotland is Draughts/Checkers. The
traditional Scots name for this game is "Dams", though even
when I was a child it was unusual to hear it called this.
But the tradition is strong enough for people to still use
it sometimes even if only self-consciously. The rest of the
terminology is:

draughts          dams
draughtsboard     dambrod
piece             dam (now usually "man")
king              croun

This is of course the eight by eight game as played in Scotland,
England and North America. The official names of the openings
are often Scots-related:

Whulter
Defiance
Old Fourteenth
Maid o the Mill
Laird and Lady
Bristol
Bristol-Cross
Soutar
Glasgow
Centre
Alma
Paisley
Will o the Wisp
Fife
Double Corner
Second Double Corner
Double Corner Dyke
Kelso
Dundee
Edinburgh
Denny
Ayrshire Lassie
Cross
Dyke
Switcher
Single Corner
White Dyke

Some of these Scots names were coined by the legendary
James Wylie, a shepherd who styled himself as "The Herd
Laddie". Many of the Herd Laddie's games are recorded
and show a lot of imagination in the play, that most
players really couldn't hope to emulate. There are also
many stories about him. According to one, a group of
gentlemen travelling south from Edinburgh stopped at an
inn in the Scottish Border Country. One of the gentlemen
boasted that he was so accomplished at the "dambrod" that
he no longer met anyone who could beat him. A group of
shepherds put up one of their number to play against him.
The shepherd won game after game, until the gentleman
finally realised who he was up against. The gentlemen
went on their way and while the sheperds sat in the corner
celebrating, the landlord came over and said to James Wylie,
"D'ye e'en ken whae ye war up against? That wis nane ither
than Thomas Carlyle."

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/