LL-L "Lexicon" 2003.07.16 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 16 14:25:10 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.JUL.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Frederic Baert <baert_frederic at CARAMAIL.COM>
Subject: contribution to the swadesh list

Goe'n dag van Fransche Vlaanderen

I must first reintroduce myself because I have not posted anything since a
long time. I am a 26 years old Biology student at the University of Lille
in the North of France. My first language is French but I always
heard "French Flemish" since it's the maternal language of my parents.
Thanks to that, I can speak it a little and I understand well the Flemish
of my parents (but as my parents, I don't understand dutch). I can also
pronounce French Flemish quite correctly. I would be proud to take part in
the swadesh list. I think it could be interesting to add a "French Flemish"
part because some words seem to be different or pronounced differently from
Western Flemish and Zeelandic. It could be also interesting because of
archaisms of this tale (see below). Orthography that I used is inspired
from the rules enounced in the French book " Cours de Flamand de Jean-Louis
Marteel. Het Vlaamsch dan men oudders klappen. Ed. Het Reuzekoor".
Vocabulary is taken from the tale of my mother who is from the village
Boeschepe in the Westhoek. You can ask me questions about pronunciation but
I must warn you that I am no linguist. It is difficult for me to use
technical terms.

Here is the list with the numbers of the English words :
1 ik
2 gy, je
3 me, wieder
4 dezen (m.) deze (f.) and dit (n.)
5 dienen (m.) dien (f.) and dat (n.)
6 wien
7 wulk
8 nie(t), nee
9 ael
10 vele
11 een
12 twee
13 groot
14 lang
15 kleene
16 vrouwmensch
17 man, veint
18 mensch
19 visch
20 veugel
21 (h)ound
22 luus
23 boom
24 zaed
25 blaed
26 wettel
27
28 vel
29 vleesch
30 bloed
31 been
32 vet, olie
33 ei
34
35 stirt
36 plumme, penne
37 haer
38 kop, (h)oofd
39 oore
40 oge
41 neuze
42 mound
43 tand
44 tounge
45 klauw
46 voet
47 knie
48 (h)and
49 buuk
50 nekke
51 borst
52 (h)erte
53 lever
54 drink(e)n
55 et(e)n
56 bitt(e)n
57 zien
58 (h)oor(e)n
59 wet(e)n
60 schlap(e)n
61 dood gaen
62 dood dun
63 zwemm(e)n
64 vlieg(e)n
65 gaen
66 komm(e)n
67 legg(e)n
68 zitt(e)n
69 staen
70 gev(e)n
71 ze(gge)n
72 zunne
73 maene
74 sterre
75 waeter
76 reg(e)n
77 steen
78 zand
79 erd (never used any more but attested in the word "er(d)appel" (potato,
litt. Earth-appel)
80 wolke
81 smoor
82 vier
83 asch
84 brand(e)n
85 weg
86 berg
87 rood
88 groen
89 gilf
90 wit
91 zwart
92 nacht
93 warm
94 koud
95 vul
96 nieuw
97 goed
98 roend
99 drooge
100 naeme

Letters in brackets are totally mute but conserved in orthography.
There are some little differences between French Flemish and Western
Flemish and Zeelandic like "wettel" (root). Some words can be told through
two ways like "kop" or "(h)oofd" (head). Sometimes the word is more related
to Zeelandic than to western Flemish like "gilf" (yellow). But I think the
most interesting are the archaisms, typical of French Flemish, as vleesch
in place of vlees (flesh), mensch in place of mens (person) schlapen in
place of slapen (sleep) etc. You can also observe the precise system to
say "this" or "that" which vary in fonction of the following name
(masculine, feminine or neutral). Last differences that cannot be seen here
are differences of pronunciation. The main difference is that, in French
Flemish, vowels preceding a "n" are nasalised. I think I heard it is not
the case in Western Flemish in Belgium. Moreover, in French Flemish of my
mother, the digraphs "oe" and "ou" are pronounced differently but none of
them is a diphtongue.

I hope I have been clear and that I have not done too many english
mistakes. I also hope you will use the list because it's hard for me to see
so many people are insensible to the disparition of Flemish in France.
Do not hesitate to ask me if you have any question.

Regards,
Frederic Baert.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Thank you very much, Frederic!  I will add the items as soon as I can get
around to it (which won't be right away, as things are going).