LL-L "Celtic connections" 2003.06.01 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 17:02:33 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.JUN.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Celtic connections" 2003.05.31 (03) [E]

Beste liëglanners,

Even though the influence of Welsh and Cornish refugees in Armorica from
the 5th century AD onward has been very significant, it should be noted
as well that before that time on the continent other Celtic languages
like Gaulish had been spoken in Armorica for centuries and centuries.
Even during Roman occupation and up till the 5th century AD. If you'd
like to find out more about this, you could have a look at:

http://www.bzh.com/keltia/galleg/langage/breton/vx-clt.htm
and
http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a8700035/BRETON1.HTML

The latter has this for example..."Wieviel gallisches Substrat im
Bretonischen aber erhalten ist, dürfte schon allein aufgrund der nahen
Verwandtschaft zwischen frühbrittonischem und gallischem Keltisch nicht
einfach zu ermitteln sein."

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx