LL-L "Attire" 2003.06.01 (13) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 2 02:52:31 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.JUN.2003 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann" <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
Subject: LL-L "Attire" 2003.06.01 (11) [E]

Hi, Wim,

> >From wkv at home.nl
>
> Hi,
>
> About wooden shoes, and games.
> Clogs are still used as farm yard safety wear here in the Netherlands, I
> use them when I work in the garden. Clogs are a good protection against
> cow hooves..
> Clogs  or klompen..

. are soooo bad for Your feet!

My father (from Eastern Prussia) did never do just one step without them
on
our farm! Ice or snow, sun or rain! There must  have been undefined,
ancient, pre-historical [!!!!!]
connections and common interests between the Netherlandic and Eastern
Prussian people that I never did understand ;-) (they really have been)!

Fruendlich, smiling Groetjes

Fiete.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Attire

Fiete,

It is known that people from Dutch/Flemish-speaking areas settled in
Eastern Germany and farther east, besides to various places in
Northwestern Germany (e.g., Friedrichstadt and Altes Land) as well as
Scotland, and that they left their marks in numerous communities.

Besides, wooden shoes (clogs) used to be worn in many places outside the
Dutch/Flemish area, such as in Northern Germany (_Klompen_ ~ _Klumpen_
and _holten Tüffeln_ ~ _hulten Tüffeln_), Britain, Wallonia, Northern
France and Scandinavia.