LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.06.03 (03) [E]

R. F. Hahn rhahn at u.washington.edu
Tue Jun 3 15:18:39 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.JUN.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Peter Snepvangers" <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>
Subject: Language Varieties

Hello Criostir and Gary,
I will try to answer the questions on Australian English (although I am
not a linguist and do not know phonology issues etc).
 Cockney does sound similar (dipthongs?) to some types of Aussie english
but it is the language used by terrible British and
USA actors when they try to imitate our lingo. It is instantly
recognised by most Aussies and laughed at as a poor attempt
at imitation. I asked a learned friend what they thought the main
differences were between Cockney and Aussie english. I
was told something about affricated plosive consonants and (glottal??)
stops are not used in Australian english. I know
some of the vowels do sound similar. Australian has always feigned
Aussie english as similar to London English. I
personally believe our english has more affinity with Midlands and Irish
rather than Cockney influence. The Aussie english
could be divided into 3 main types across all geographical area. There
is an exaggerated commoner or slang yobbo style.
There is a standard or general style with previous leanings (declining)
to the BBC style english. There is now a very distinct
move to Americanised vocab, pronunciation, diphthong changes etc. The
American change is strong with the younger
generations and seems to be an effect of globalisation and cultural
intermingling via music, movies, tv, video. These are my
own personal thoughts. NZ english in my opinion was more strongly
influenced by Scots and English migrants. I often see
discussion on vowel shifts and phonetic shorthand for sounds and my mind
blurs. Perhaps someone could suggest a good
site that explains this for me. We have a town in NSW called Maclean
settled by Scots. Some folks pronounce it Maclain
and some Macleen.
Cheers
Peter Snepvangers