LL-L "Resources" 2003.06.06 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 20:02:03 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.JUN.2003 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Folks,

Another LL-L member has approached me privately (Hi! You know who you
are) saying that he/she would love to participate in some of the
linguistic discussions (lately "Phonology") but is afraid of making a
fool of him- or herself in the presence of people who know more about
the subject.  Also, he/she asked if I could recommend some basic
information for interested beginners.

First of all, let me repeat that you need not feel intimidated, no
matter how intimidating some subscribers might "sound" to you at times.
This list is for *all* walks of life, and no one will be permitted to
make fun of you or make you feel bad in any other way.  It is all right
to participate if you do not understand some of the basics.  You can
always ask, and people will be happy to lead you to introductory
resources.  If you feel unsure and think you have a fragile ego, just
start your messages with a "disclaimer." then you can say, "See? I told
you I'm not an expert."  :)

Here are a few sites that may prove useful to start with:

http://sps.k12.mo.us/khs/linguistics/lingtrms.htm
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~pxc/nlpa/nlpgloss.html
http://tristram.let.uu.nl/UiL-OTS/Lexicon/
http://www.sil.org/linguistics/GlossaryOfLinguisticTerms/contents.htm

There are tons of offline introductions too.

Cheers!