LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.06.08 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 04:01:59 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.JUN.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.06.08 (01) [E]

Peter wrote:
"Are there geographically distinct Australian and New Zealand accents?
I.e., can someone from Sydney pick out someone from Perth, or can
someone from Auckland tell when someone else is from Wellington?"

Yes, but on the whole the phonological variance is not as great as
between, say, northern and southern variants of English in England or
Ireland, and - unfortunately - the old state accents (or, more
accurately, metropolitan state and rural state accents) are being lost
as the latest
generation homogenises into a standard Australian accent.

As a Nottingham English speaker in Australia I found it very easy to
pick out Queenslanders because their accents were drawn-out; West
Australian accents have a lovely and easily identifiable consonant
range; but the rest are not so easy, and there is also a fairly uniform
Aboriginal English accent.

Elsewhere, however, the divergence between NZ and Australian accents is
as great as between, say, the Australian and South African accents,
although for many reasons (including a similar heritage), observers tend
to overstate the shared features of Australian and NZ accents at the
expense of the similarities between NZ and South African, which are
many.

Go raibh maith agat

Criostóir.