LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.06.09 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 10 00:32:51 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.JUN.2003 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Peter J. Wright" <peterjwright at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.06.09 (03) [D/E/French]

Ruud Harmsen wrote:

>>Yes, but on the whole the phonological variance is not as great [...]

>I often see the word "phonological" in this thread. But it think if
>the phonemes are the same, and only the sounds with which phonemes
>vary, phonetic would be a more correct term for this.

You may well be right, Ruud.  For some reason, my understanding of those
terms while I was at school was always sketchy at best, since my areas
of interest tended to be more in the direction of applied phonology
rather than phonetics or semantics.  People who knew these things in my
classes were always my friends . . . ;)

Cheers,

Peter Wright
New York, NY