LL-L "Resources" 2003.06.10 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 10 15:34:15 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.JUN.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Pepijn Hendriks" <pepijnh at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2003.06.09 (04) [E]

"Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc." <roger.thijs at euro-support.be> wrote:

>There is one more pocket on the market with a selection of some
>vocabulary & expressions in Belgian Dutch.
>
>redactie Peter Bakema e.a.:
>Vlaams-Nederlands Woordenboek, van "ambetanterik" tot "zwanzer",
>2003, Antwerpen, Standaard Uitgeverij & Utrecht, Het Spectrum,
>ISBN 90-712-662-9, 395 pp, pocket size.
>
>One has to be carefull with this kind of books: some of the
>expressions are incidentally heard in Belgium, but not shared by all
>Belgian Dutch speakers. Since I'm originated from Belgian Limburg, I
>find terrible much stuff I would never use by myself. I guess this is
>the problem with dictionaries covering a large area of a regiolect or
>dialect, that is not standardized. The result is an artificial basket
>no one uses as a whole.

True. I know that one of the editors of the book, Maurice Vandebroek
is from Belgian Limburg. You may hope that having a broad range of
editors from all over the country will prevent books like these from
becoming a strange mishmash of words.

A similar project, internet (usenet) based this time, is also in the
works. The list is made by contributors to the usenet group nl.taal
(both Belgian and Dutch), and can be found at
<http://users.pandora.be/taalvandaal>. This is work in progress
(although there is quite a lot there already, actually).

-Pepijn