LL-L "Etymology" 2003.06.15 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 15 18:59:32 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JUN.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language Varieties

Hi

Hump to me can have both meanings of carry, plus the
American meaning depending on context. 'To hump
something around' would imply carrying something heavy
for a period of time, whereas 'to hump someone'
well... .

I would only use it in the phrase with 'around' to
mean to carry, not that I'd ever use it in the other
sense - I'm far too polite and British for that ;)

'Bugger' on the other hand has for me the 'Biblical'
sense and the sense of a nasty person. My gran would
often use this and 'sod' quite unaware of any other
meanings other than a bad person. It made us laugh.

Gary

----------

From: Gavin.Falconer at gmx.net
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.06.14 (02) [E]

I once heard that the word "bugger" meaning "sodomite" was derived from
the
word "Bulgar" because of the tolerance which the Gnostic Christianity
popular
in that part of Europe at the time accorded to homosexuality.  Does
anyone
know if that's true?

--
All the best,

Gavin

Gavin Falconer

Belfast: 02890 657935
Dublin: 00353 (0)1 831 9089
Work: 00353 (0)1 618 3386
Mobile: 0779 173 0627
Fax:  001 954 301 7991

"Wovon man nicht reden kann, darüber muss man
schweigen."