LL-L "Etymology" 2003.03.01 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Mar 1 23:42:43 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 01.MAR.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject:  LL-L "Etymology" 2003.03.01 (03) [E]

Gary wrote:
"The word 'down' is of course also used in the North
and South Downs in the South of England - where it has
the soul meaning of 'hill'."

Indeed! I realised this almost as soon as I had hit the lethal 'send'
button.

I wouldn't put it past the Old English to nab a Celtic word here and there
when it suited them, nevertheless it's quite a semantic shift from
'hillfort' to 'undulating hilly countryside' although having already
mentioned the problems the Celtic word _ros_ presents (where it varies
between 'wood', 'headland' and 'land sloping to a water source' depending on
the context and language) it's not beyond the realms of possibility. Perhaps
_dún_ or _dinas_ was borrowed into Old English as a kind of military slang
for the kind of environment in which the invaders kept finding (and so
expected to find) Celtic hillforts. But...

...I'm still unconvinced by the idea that a toponym could have formed the
verb _down_. You mention German _herunter_ and Scandinavian cognates for
_beneath_ aren't these better candidates for an English cognate for _down_
than a toponym borrowed from Celtic?

We even have the contrast _up and under_ to suggest that _under_ was, at
some point, exactly equivalent to _down_ the way we use it now. In fact,
_down_ seems more receptive than most verbs to reduplication - cf: _down
under_ and _down below_.

Go raibh maith agat

Criostoir [I left the diacritics out just this once]