LL-L "Signage" 2003.03.03 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Mar 3 21:47:28 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.MAR.2003 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject:  LL-L "Signage" 2003.03.03 (02) [E]

> From: Jules Roonacker <julesr at itn-logistics.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2003.03.01 (01) [D/E]
> Roger Thijs writes about a roadsign issue in Belgium.

It actually concerned a parking disc: an enveloppe with a disc inside,
allowing you to mark the time of arrival (Ankunft(s)zeit in German) by
properly turning the disc. You leave it visible in your car, and the
policeman will check whether or not you exceed the parking time.

> Therefore, the French version should be "(Vous devez vous) ARRETER"
(infinitif) or "ARRETEZ" (gebiedende wijs) but not "Ceci est un arret".
I believe France and Belgium (?) have solved this problem by using the
universal multilingual word "STOP" for their sign. Am I right Roger?

Yes,
The verb "stopper" is decent French btw.
>From my Petit Larouse CD-ROM 2003:

I __stopper__ verbe transitif
Faire un stoppage à .
means: darn / mend

II __stopper__ verbe transitif
1. Arrêter la marche d'un navire, d'une machine, etc.
2. Empêcher d'avancer, de progresser ; arrêter définitivement. Stopper une
offensive.

__stopper__ verbe intransitif
Cesser d'avancer ; s'arrêter.

__stop__ interjection
(mot anglais)
Exprime l'ordre d'arrêter, de cesser toute manœuvre. Stop ! n'avancez plus !

I think the Canadian behaviour is a typical overdoing for languages in a
defensive position. So we do have "droogzwierder" in Belgian Dutch, versus
"centrifuge" in standard Dutch etc.

Road signs / Canadian French:  ARRÃ T
http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/reseau/signalisation/

France: STOP
the official list (pdf  file/ long URL cut in two parts below !!!):
http://www.securiteroutiere.equipement.gouv.fr/signaux/
signauxatelecharger/signauxroutiers.pdf

Belgium (French version) STOP
http://www.fedpol.be/polfed/trafic/code/art67.htm

For my French feeling "Arrêt" (point d'arrêt ) means over here not that you
have to stop, but refers to a place certain vehicles eventually stop, e.g.
"arrêt d'autobus".
The sign at a busstop in Wallonia:
http://www.tec-charleroi.be/infos/astuces.asp

Regards,