LL-L "Administrativia" 2003.03.05 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 5 22:01:35 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.MAR.2003 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativia

Dear Lowlanders,

Since my last administrative message (LL-L "Administrativia" 2003.02.11
(03), Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:17:33) we have been joined by a number of new
Lowlanders. Welcome! You will find a list of their places of residence
below. Not all of them are still with us.

The 5-10% revolving door phenomenon continues. (Easier sign-up procedures
have a downside in that they filter out fewer "non-serious" applicants.)
Also, some people allow their mailboxes to fill up, and our server will
eventually unsubscribe addresses from which mail bounces back repeatedly. A
few people's email addresses have become defunct and were thus taken off the
list. Unfortunately, there are still some people that are rude enough to
block mail from Lowlands-L instead of unsubscribing as requested. They will
forever rot in listserv hell.

It appears that some people join Lowlands-L without reading even the
relatively brief and simply written introductory blurbs online. I can tell
by what they write under "Purpose". Most people do bother to inform
themselves when they sign up, and under "Purpose" many state interests that
are relevant but oftentimes very specific. I can only suggest that these new
Lowlanders post inquiries to elicit the information they seek.
Unfortunately, many people wait for the rest of us to read their minds and
present the desired information without them doing anything about it, and
after a while they get tired of waiting and sign off (or make me sign them
off). Folks, please let us know what it is that you want. If you consider
posting (and even if you don't), please make sure you first read our rules
and guidelines: http://www.lowlands-l.net/rules.htm

If you are fairly new to Lowlands you ought to visit our archives
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html) and do a search
to see if what you wish to ask has already been answered before. You can do
so by clicking on "Search the archives" and make sure you check the box next
to "Substring search" (for otherwise the search would be limited to the
headings, which are rather repetitive on LL-L).

Our mailings use Unicode encoding. Below is something I posted about it
earlier:

   All one has to do is switch one's programs encoding mode to Unicode
   after installing one or more Unicode fonts.
   One such font is Arial Unicode, and another one is Lucida Sans Unicode.
   These are proportionally spaced fonts.
   Does anyone know of a generally (gratis) available fixed-width Unicode
   font?

   Unfortunately, Microsoft has removed Arial Unicode from their free
   download webpage.
   (However, go to http://www.magic-live.com/fonts/ and find ARIALUNI.TTF
   and LSANSUNI.TTF.)

   Unicode Home Page: http://www.unicode.org/ Also useful:
   http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/unicode/fonts.html

   Recommended for perusing and selecting the contents of Unicode fonts:
   Unicode Font Viewer (freeware: http://www.delphi-unicode.net/Tools.html).

Anyway, I wish you all a smooth and interesting ride.

Regards,
__________
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Administrator, Lowlands-L
<http://www.lowlands-l.net>

***

Places of Residence of New Subscribers (since February 11, 2003):

   Australia:
      Tasmania:
         Hobart [1]
      New South Wales: