LL-L "Etymology" 2003.03.06 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Mar 6 15:41:05 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.MAR.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.03.05 (02) [E]

> From: luc.hellinckx at pandora.be
> <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
> Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2003.03.04 (09) [D/E/German]
>
> Beste liëglanners,
>
> When I read one of Stella en Henno's messages I came
> across the Frisian word
> _ris_ which seemed to mean _eens_ (D). Is that so ?
> If so, it's very likely a cognate of the Brabantish
> _res_ which means _even_
> (D).
> e.g. Zet je even neer (D) ~ Zet a res nee (B)
> I've never been able to trace the etymology of this
> word though.
> By the way, thanks Roger for reminding me of  this
> other Brabantish
> expression :
> e.g. Hij heeft er _een handje van weg_ mij te
> bottemuilen. (D) ~ He's used
> to snapping at me. (E)
> Kind greetings,
>
> Luc Hellinckx
---------------

iets als:
res < er eens

vr.gr. Theo Homan

----------

From: Jan Strunk <strunkjan at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.03.05 (07) [D/E]

Hi,

> > If so, it's very likely a cognate of the Brabantish _res_ which means
> _even_
> > (D).
> > e.g. Zet je even neer (D) ~ Zet a res nee (B)
> > I've never been able to trace the etymology of this word though.
> [snip]
> > Luc Hellinckx

In Westphalian Low Saxon people use the word "äs" (=English "as", Dutch /
German "als")
for this function, e.g. in "Segg äs, ..." or "Sett di äs daal", etc.

What about other Low Saxon dialects? Is this usage typically Westphalian?

Gröten!

Jan Strunk
strunk at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

[English below]

Jan,
In 'n paar Noordsassische dialekten in dey westernen rebeyden segt sey ook
"eyns" (~ "eens"); t.b. "Set dy eyns daal", "Kaam eyns binnen", "Dou my eyns
dey bodder". Man in dey meyrsten Noordsassischen dialekten segt wy "maal"
(ook "maol", "moal" or "måål" scheven): "Set dy maal daal", "Kaam maal
binnen", "Dou my maal dey bodder". Ik glöyv', dat kümmt vun "eyn maal" af.
Ik glöyv' man nich, dat Juun "äs" was mit Ingelsch _as_ un Nedderlandsch
_als_ tou doun hett. Na myn verscheel kümmt dat vun "eyns" af, un dat kümmt
sachs vun so wat as "eyn keyr" af.

Kumpelmenten in 't huus!

Reinhard/Ron

Jan,

In a few farwestern North Saxon dialects of Lowlands Saxon (Low German) they
also say _eens_; e.g., _Set di eens daal_ ('Sit down (for a while)'), _Kaam
eens binnen_ ('Come inside (for a while)'), _Do mi eens de Bodder_ ('Pass me
the butter, will you?'). In most North Saxon dialects we say _maal_ (also
written _maol_, _moal_ or _måål_): "Set di maal daal", "Kaam maal binnen",
"Do mi maal de Bodder" - from _een Maal_ ("one time"), I believe. I don't
think that your _äs_ has anything to do with English "as" and Dutch _als_.
In my opinion it is derived from _eens_, which is derived from _een Keer_
("one time").

Best wishes,