LL-L "Morphology" 2003.03.12 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 12 15:34:47 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.MAR.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Allison Turner-hansen <athansen at arches.uga.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2003.03.11 (01) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Morphology
>
> Gary (above),
>
> > Just looked up 'lingua franca' in my Concise Oxford
> > Dictionary and it gives the plural as 'lingua francas'
> > which would also be the form I would probably use,
> > without having thought about the grammar - even though
> > it probably irks many!
>
> My kneejerk reaction was "Egh!"  At second thought, though, it makes
perfect
> sense: in the absence of Romance morphology awareness the two parts have
> been reanalized as one word, and plural /+s/ has been added to the end of
> the sequence.  I guess I can live with that more comfortably than with the
> state of limbo I described.  Thanks, Gary, as always.

Dear All,
Perhaps it *is* better for English speakers to simply use the
regular English plural than mangle the Latin or Greek.  I have heard
"octopi" as the plural for "octopus", when it should be "octopodes", or
anglicized, "octopods".  People who have not studied these languages are
not likely to know the stem types.

Allison