LL-L "Etymology" 2003.05.03 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat May 3 18:21:00 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.May.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at holger-weigelt.de>
Subject: "Etymology"

> > From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> > Subject: Etymology
> >
> > Salut en bedankt, Denis!
> >
> > _Schilderaatsen_ 'schilderij' is dus waarschijnlijk een (Oost-)Vlaams
> > leenwoord in het Nedersaksisch.  Hmm ... Erg interessant!
> >
> > Groeten,
> > Reinhard/Ron
>
> Hello Denis, hello Ron !
> In Eastern Friesland we use the word "sgilt" (picture, painting) beside
> "bild". "Sgilt" is normally used for the object itself whereas "bild"
> mostly
> means the idea or imagination. The process of making a picture (which
> can be
> painting, drawing, taking a photograph) is "sgilderj" (picture making)
> and
> the verb is "sgildern" (in German "Schild" means a poster, a traffic
> sign or
> the tool ancient warriors used to protect themselves against the swords
> of
> their enemies. "Schildern" means to tell something, to enfold a picture
> in
> words).
> We also know the expression "sgilder tje" or "sgildertsje" but that is
> derogative one denoting for example painting of low quality, mass
> production, graffity or things like that.
> There are also some other words with a similar ending. For example:
> "segger tje" meaning: saying, phrase, short sentence of wisdom or
> foolery
> and:
> "mimertjes", a word (plural only) which is difficult to translate. It
> appears with forms of _to be_ or _to become_ and means a state of mental
> and
> physical behaviour between being absent minded and being debile often
> combined with doing silly things.
> "h i kumt in d' mimertjes" =  he is going to loose - mentally - contact
> the world around and does silly things;
> "h i is in d' mimertjes" = he is debile.
> The word "mimer tjes" is derived from  "mimerren" which means "to
> brood",
> "to ponder", "to ruminate".
> Regards
> Holger
>
> ----------
>
> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Above, Holger wrote about _mimer tjes_ < _mimerren_ and related words.
> I wonder if they are based on a loanword, perhaps French _m moire_
> 'memory', which in my opinion would be consistent with 'to brood', etc.
> (perhaps originally 'to dwell on memories').
>
> > "hi is in d' mimer tjes" = he is debile.
>
> As far as I am aware, *"debile" (= French _dbile_) is not an English
> word (though it is related to 'to debilitate' and 'debility').  I think
> what is meant here is something like 'feeble-minded' or 'dim-witted', in
> the example above perhaps 'senile'.  I am just adding this to clarify it
> [...]
Hello Ron !
The idea of "mimeræren" being a French loanword might be correct. By
historical reasons EFLS carries many french loans with it.
Thanks for clearing up the meaning ob "debile" - I didn't know the
correct
English term but believed this word might be understood because it is
also
used in medical nomenclature and that is mostly similar between our
languages.
Greetings
Holger

----------

From: "Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at nb.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.05.02 (03) [E]

>As far as I am aware, *"debile" (= French _débile_) is not an English
>word (though it is related to 'to debilitate' and 'debility').  I think
>what is meant here is something like 'feeble-minded' or 'dim-witted', in
>the example above perhaps 'senile'.  I am just adding this to clarify it
>for others.

I would consider English "debile" (pronounced like "debble" or "deb-ill"
with initial stress, I think) to be archaic rather than nonexistent; it
appears in large modern dictionaries. I agree that "feeble-minded" would
seem preferable here.

I suppose the verb in question here is like Dutch "mijmeren"; in the
context it would seem to approximate English "dote" pretty well, with
the
noun form approximating English "dotage" (there is the related [I think]
adjective "dotty" too).

-- Doug Wilson

----------

From: "denis dujardin" <dujardin at pandora.be>
Subject: "jeunen"

Hi there,

In Westflemish, we know the word "jeunen" , which is very difficult to
translate.
It means something like "enjoy" but goes far beyond that. It is a sort
of state of mind which excells every enjoyment.
Is the stem know to any other Germanic language?
I know that in Swedish "nöja" means: "to like, to love something". Would
there be any relation with this?

best regards,

denis dujardin