LL-L "Names" 2003.05.04 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun May 4 17:12:04 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.May.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Names"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Language contacts
>
> I have no problem with German-speaking areas retaining "Peking."  It's
> an old and established name, established like "Kopenhagen" (for "K
> benhavn"), "Rom" (for "Roma"), "Mailand" (for "Milano"), "Athen" (for
> "Athine"), "Jerusalem" (for "Yerushalayim" or "al-Qudz") or "Damaskus"
> (for "Damashek").

This sort of thing particularly bothers me when I see
trendy mapmakers using the "foreign" name in preference
to the language of the atlas or map. For example, in
English atlases you sometimes see "Roma", "Milano",
"Turino" &c, usually with "Rome", "Milan" and "Turin"
in smaller lettering and brackets. While there are some
names, especially in locations that seem "exotic" to the
users of the atlas, that could fairly be said to be
unnecessary mistakes, the likes of "Turin" is long
established in English and has only slight phonological
adjustments to make it sit better in the language. On
the other hand, some things, like "Leghorn" can seem
peculiar enough to irritate the more knowledgable, and
perhaps "Livorno" would be more acceptable even amongst
English speakers. But this may be as much to do with the
fact that the place is less well known in the English-
speaking world and therefore the attachment to the
Anglicised form of the name isn't so strong.

In Scots there's a long tradition of assimilating French
words which seems more advanced than in English. For example
"puree" is "purry" /'pVrI/, "assiette" is "ashet" /'Q.S@?/
and so on. These words go back a long way, though, to actual
French communities in Scotland.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/