LL-L "Phonology" 2003.05.05 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon May 5 17:48:28 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.May.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Allison Turner-Hansen" <hallison at gte.net>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2003.05.02 (04) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Phonology
>
> Dear Lowlanders,
>
> I have noticed a certain phonological phenomenon but am not sure if it
> has been widely recognized, analyzed and labeled.  I wonder what one
> should call it.  Perhaps it falls into the broader category of
> overcompensation.  If no one has named it so far, I will refer to it as
> "exoticization."
>
> At first I thought it was a temporary quirky thing among Americans who
> want to come across as linguistically more savvy than they are,
> noticeable particularly among radio and television reporters.  However,
> to my private dismay, lately I have been noticing the same phenomenon
> among Canadian, British and Australian media people and politicians.
>
> Specifically, this is a tendency, if not a rule, to pronounce what
> should be [dZ] (as in English "jar" or "jeep") as [Z] (as in English
> 'measure' or 'azure' and as in French _jour_ or _gitan_) in foreign
> words and names, excluding "important" languages such as Spanish,
> Italian and German.  This applies mostly to languages considered
> "exotic" by Westerners.
>
> The first time I noticed it -- quite a few years ago -- was in the
> Mandarin name _Beijing_ (for what used to be called "Peking"), which has
> come to be pronounced "bay-zhing" (with main stress on the second
> syllable, but let's not talk about stress here in the case of transfer
> from a tonal language).  What in Pinyin Romanization is written as <j>
> is an alveodental affricate (in some dialects [dz]).  The closest
> English approximant is <j>, also an affricate, not the "" fricative
> (which in English occurs quite rarely).  Somehow someone must have
> started this "Beiêžžng" thing, and everyone else followed like sheep.  I
> once called someone on it, and she said she didn't care what was
> correct; "Bei ng" sounded nicer to her, and everyone else was saying it
> like that.  I remember the American reporter Andrea Koppel pronouncing
> the name "correctly" with a "j", and I heard that she actually studied
> Chinese, but I do not know if she has conformed to the general "Being"
> thing in the meantime.  I have heard other Chinese names pronounced in
> like manner; e.g., Nanjing (as "Nan ng") and Guangzhou (as "Gwan(g)"
> instead of more appropriate "Gw ngjoe").
>
> I used to think this was confined to Chinese names, but lately I have
> been hearing words and names in Middle Eastern languages pronounced with
> "" instead of more appropriate "j".  Because of recent events, Arabic
> names and words have come up a lot.  Arabic has the affricate "j" sound
> (corresponding to "g" in Egyptian Arabic and also in Hebrew); it has no
> "" sound.  However, "" is almost regularly used in Iraqi city names
> such as (An-)Najaf and Fallujah, and yesterday I heard two BBC reporters
> pronounce the word _hajj_ 'pilgrimage to Mecca and Medina' as "haa".

> [...]
Dear Ron, Lowlanders,
I too have noticed such things.  I myself tend to pronounce all foreign
words, especially the vowels, as though they were German, probably
because
that is the foreign language I know best.  And that pesky symbol <j>,
which
rarely represents English /dZ/, comes out usually as a yod.  Some people
say
them as [h], which makes me think they know Spanish.  But most Americans
and
British are most influenced by French, I think, so it's not surprising
to me
if they say /j/ the French way.  I believe this tendency comes from the
structure of the brain (just a guess!).  It may be different for true
polyglots as opposed to bilingual people who learned the foreign
language
after they learned their native tongue.  I'm just saying that if I
perceive
a word to be foreign, and I don't personally know the rules of that
language, my brain switches from its "native rules" section to the
"foreign
rules" section, where the German rules are stored.  When I took Sanskrit
the
students in my class all mispronounced the affricate /dZ/ in different
ways
according to their previous linguistic experience.

Cheers!
Allison Turner-Hansen