LL-L "Phonology" 2003.05.06 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue May 6 15:15:17 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.MAY.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Andy Howey" <andyandmae_howey at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2003.05.05 (02) [E]

Hello, All:

I have a co-worker who is a native of Beijing, and I asked him how it is
really pronounced, and he pronounced it "bay-JING", but he said that
that pronunciation is only since the Communists took power.  Prior to
that, it was pronounced "pay-KING".  He didn't say why the change in
pronunciation, though.

Andy Howey