LL-L "Names" 2003.05.08 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu May 8 15:11:54 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.MAY.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "luc.hellinckx at pandora.be" <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Names

Beste liëglanners,

A couple of days ago somebody was wondering how "wyndham" should be
spelled. I can't answer that question, but I do know that a parish
called "Wintham" exists in the province of Antwerp (part of the township
of
Bornem). As far as I remember it is located in a nook at the confluence
of the rivers Schelde and Rupel on some higher (meaning "drier" in that
part of the country) grounds.
Maybe that provides some insight?
Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: "Peter J. Wright" <peterjwright at earthlink.net>
Subject: Reply to "Names" Post

Chris Ferguson wrote:

"Do you know exactly where Wyndham is -as often it's geographical
location
can indicate a place's linguistic origins? So to tell you how to spell
it in
Gaelic you would have to make out it's original meaning. I do believe if
this is a place in Scotland that it will have an Old English
(Northumbrian
dialect ) origin."

Hi Chris,

I'm afraid I don't know where Wyndham is.  A friend of mine works for a
hotel named Wyndham, and he told me that it means "a place of rest after
long journey" in Scots Gaelic.  Out of pure curiosity, I decided to find
out
how it might be spelled in SG.  Your explanation makes sense, though,
which
means that his belief regarding the origin of this word is erroneous.

On another note: After having listened occasionally to BBC Radio nan
Gaidheal via the Internet for the last couple of weeks, I find myself
inexplicably drawn (like a particle of light into a black hole, I'm
afraid)
to start studying this very interesting language, so no doubt I will be
consulting the list in the very near future about its various features.
:-)

For starters:

How do you pronounce the word "dh'fhagail" ("to leave)?

Curiously,

Peter Wright
New York, NY

----------

> know exactly where Wyndham is -as often it's geographical location can
> indicate a place's linguistic origins? So to tell you how to spell it in
> Gaelic you would have to make out it's original meaning. I do believe if
> this is a place in Scotland that it will have an Old English (
> Northumbrian
> dialect ) origin.

The only Wyndham listed in my UK road atlas is in South Wales,
some way north of Bridgend.

However, I know a Wyndham Hill on the eastern outskirts of Yeovil,
Somerset, England.

Neither of these are anywhere near Scotland  :)

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

According to some sources, Wyndham means something like "village near
the winding road", according to another one
(http://www.ambigram.com/names.htm) "from the windy village; via a
winding path (Anglo-Saxon)".  Hmmm ...

The "winding" theory seems most tenable to me, and I do not believe that
Wyndham is of Celtic origin.

Oxford English Dictionary:

wynd < Middle English _wynd(e)_ < Old English _gewind_
   A narrow street or passage turning off from a main thoroughfare;
  a narrow cross-street; a lane or alley:  in Scotland (and
  northern England.
  c1425 WYNTOUN Cron. VIII. xxvii. 4490 Þai til Edynburgh helde þe way,
And at þe Freyr Wynde enteryt þai. 1439 Charters, etc. of Edinb. (1871)
64 The comon venale callit Sanct Leonardis wynde. 1506 Reg. Mag. Sig.
Scot. 617/1 Le Nudryis Vynd infra burgum de Edinburgh. 1596 DALRYMPLE
tr. Leslie's Hist. Scot. (S.T.S.) II. 174 Seing a possest persone with
the deuil..rinn throuch gaites, houses, close, wynes, straits and
streits frilie. 1612 in Halyburton's Ledger (1867) 336 Bonnetts maid in
Leith wynd. 1695 SIBBALD Autobiog. (1834) 127 A house neer to the head
of Blackfriers Wynd. 1727 DE FOE Tour Gt. Brit. III. 30 Those Side Lanes
which they call Wynds. c1730 BURT Lett. N. Scotl. (1818) I. 18 Being in
my retreat to pass through a long narrow wynde or alley,..a guide was
assigned me. 1782 SIR J. SINCLAIR Observ. Scot. Dial. 165 Many narrow
lanes, leading..down the sides of the hills; which lanes, from their
being generally winding,..are called winds. 1822 SCOTT Nigel ii, A sma'
house at the fit of ane of the wynds. 1860 SIR J. B. BURKE Viciss.
Families Ser. II. 153 The site of Appleby is exceedingly beautiful...
>From this main street are narrow lanes, called weinds, jutting out
towards the river Eden. 1886 MASSON Edinb. Sketches (1892) 11 A
multiplicity of narrow foot-passages called closes, with a few wider and
more street-like cuttings called wynds.
    b. Applied to similar lanes, etc., in other parts.
  1863 SIR R. ALCOCK Capital of Tycoon I. 255 Black-teethed women..rush
down the wynds and passages [in Yeddo] which lead to the great
thoroughfare. 1871 KINGSLEY At Last ii, Fresh from the cities of the Old
World, and the short and stunted figures..which crowd our alleys and
back wynds. 1894 S. WEYMAN Man in Black viii. 168 The priest passed
unharmed through the lowest wynds of Paris.
    c. Without article.
  1812 W. TENNANT Anster F. VI. xxi, From lane and wynd the sounds of
gladness peal. 1856 W. E. AYTOUN Bothwell 145 That cry..rung through
street, and pealed through wynd.
    d. transf.
  1952 DYLAN THOMAS Coll. Poems 170 Small fishes glide Through wynds and
shells of drowned Ship towns to pastures of otters.
    2. attrib., as wynd house; wynd head, the higher end of a narrow
street.
  1530 Abstr. Protocols Town Clerks Glasgow (1897) IV. 34 Fra the
Wyndheid of Glasgw to the Grayfreris. 1665 J. NICOLL Diary (Bann. Cl.)
443 [He] errectit ane staige betwixt Niddries and Black Friers wynd
head. 1888 BARRIE When a Man's Single i, The windows of the wynd houses.

ham < Middle English _ham(me)_ < Old English _ham(m)_, _hom(m)_
[OE. ham(m, hom(m, str. m. = OFris. ham, hem, him, NFris. hamm, EFris.
ham, hamm a pasture or meadow enclosed with a ditch, LGer. hamm piece of
enclosed land (on the Rhine, 'meadow'); WFlem. ham meadow, in Kilian
hamme, ham 'pratum pascuum'; a word confined on the continent to the
Frisian and Lower Saxon area, where its specific application varies as
in England.]
    A plot of pasture ground; in some places esp. meadow-land; in others
spec. an enclosed plot, a close. Found in OE., and still in local use in
the south; in some places surviving only as the name of a particular
piece of ground.
  901-9 Charter of Eadweard in Cod. Dipl. V. 166  anon on gerihte to
Scealdæmeres hamme. ?c1000 Ibid. V. 383 Ða hammas ðaðer mid rihte
togebyriaþ. 1617 MINSHEU Ductor, A Hamme or a little plot of ground
growing by the riuers or Thames side, commonly crooked, and beset with
many willow trees or osiers. c1630 RISDON Surv. Devon (1810) 6 Between
the North and the South Hams (for that is the ancient name) there lieth
a chain of hills. 1702 Lond. Gaz. No. 3838/4 The said Fair will be
kept..upon a Place..called the Ham. 1796 W. MARSHALL West Engl. I. 33
The forests [would] be converted, by degrees, into common pastures, or
hams. 1880 WILLIAMS Rights of Common 91 Within these two meadows were
several hams or home closes of meadow. 1881 BLACKMORE Christowell iv,
The sheep~wash corner in the lower ham.

ham < Old English _hám_
The OE. hám HOME, which, in composition, has been shortened to ham, as in
Hampstead, Hampton (:Hámtún), Oakham, Lewisham, etc., and, in this form,
is sometimes used by historical writers in the sense ‘town, village, or
manor’ of the Old English period.
  1864 I. TAYLOR Words & Places (1882) 82 In the Anglo-Saxon charters we
frequently find this suffix (ham) united with the names of families,
never with those of individuals. 1872 E. W. ROBERTSON Hist. Ess. 118 A
separate homestead apart from the ham of the vill. 1874 GREEN Short
Hist. 3 The home or ‘ham’ of the Billings would be Billingham.

home < Old English _hám_
[Com. Teut.: OE. hám = OFris. hém, OS. hém (MDu., Du. heem), OHG. heim
(MHG., Ger. heim), ON. heimr dwelling, world, (Sw. hem, Da. hjem), Goth.
háims fem., village. Cf. Lith. këmas, kaímas, village, homestead, OPruss.
caymis village; Skr. kšêmas safe dwelling, f. *ksi to dwell secure.
  In the earlier stages of Teutonic, the acc. case was used without a
preposition (accusative of direction) like L. domum, with the sense 'to
one's house, to home'; and the dat. (= locative), OHG. heimi, heime,
MHG. heime, OS. hême, in the sense 'at home', L. dom . The former usage
survives in 'go home', where HOME is now treated as an adv.]
     1.    a. (Only in OE. and early ME.) A village or town, a
collection of dwellings; a vill with its cottages. Obs.
  c900 tr. Bæda II. xiv. [xvi.] (1890) 146 He rad betweoh his hamum oðþe
be tunum. 901 O.E. Chron. an. 901 Æþelwald sæt binnan þæm ham mid þæm
monnum þe him to  ebu on. c1205 LAY. 19455 Þa wes Verolam a swiðe
kinewurðe hom.

By the way, there appear to be several places all over the world by the
name Wyndham, including in my "home" state of Western Australia.
Apparently, besides being a place-name-based surname, Wyndham can be
found in lists of more "exotic" boy's names.

Cheers!