LL-L "Events" 2003.05.09 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 15:16:25 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.MAY.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Tetja Barbee <tetja at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: EVENTS

Hello Ron, and fellow LL-Ler's.  In all due respect, please accept my
sincerest apologies to those concerned with
English-only postings.  As embarrassing as it may be to admit, I lack
the knowledge of and fluency in any other dialect.
Perhaps Ron or any other volunteer, might repost the following "event
information" in another useful dialect if needed.

As I am the first to admit the least amount of knowledge relating to
"any thing German--including language,"  my blood is
90% German--which is what originally brought me to the List!  Thus, in
my research on German ancestry, all of your
comments and discussions on the List have been very useful tools--thank
you all!  Now, perhaps, I may share something
of possible fun and interest to the List.  Many LL-Ler's, and
researcher's of German history, may want to know about an
upcoming International German Genealogy research group's convention next
month, June, held in Washington State!
While the all of your discussions at the List have been been helpful in
research on my name, Tetja, the group holding this
convention has proved invaluable for German-related research.
Therefore, in recent correspondence with Ron, who has
encouraged the share of this information, the following is fo! r any
LL-Ler's interested in learning more about their
German ancestry, or would love a day of traditional German-related
festivities!

The AHSGR (American Historical Society of Germans in Russia) is
enormously involved with genealogy research on the
original Volga-German colonies, Norka, Westphalia, and Baltic German
genealogical research.  Every year, the
AHSGR hosts an International Convention for information and resources on
specific research of the German's in Russia,
and Lowlander history.  For many of us, especially lowlander migrational
ancestry researchers, this organization offers
tremendous resources in answering many questions about the history of
German's, and the influence of their
migrational associations, on the folkways, morays, and general
"evolution" into modern day German traditions.

The Thirty-Fourth International AHSGR Convention will be held from
Sunday, June 15th - Sunday, June 22nd in
Yakima Washington, outside of Seattle.  As I understand, this is merely
a hour's drive from Seattle, WA, so perhaps
many LL-Ler's would be interested?  For those of us who would like to
join in the festivities, perhaps we can take Ron's
suggestion to organize a group as the official "LL-L delegates?"  It is
scheduled to be a grand affair, with many
German-related activities.  In addition to the normal "convention
workshops, discussion groups, and informational
gatherings,"  there will also be optional German-related tours to: an
Agricultural Museum Cow Palace and Cheese
Factory; a Leavenworth Bavarian Village; a Toppenish Hops and Mural
Museum; and a Hutterite Colony
tour--beginning with a traditional "Lady's of the Colony," gathering
leading to an all-day visit where you will hea! r how
and why they immigrated into the United States and be able to ask
questions. Then you will tour the schools and be
treated to a traditional German fare lunch, and even receive a fresh
loaf of German-baked bread as a token of your
visit.  The convention is family-oriented as well, so there is plenty
for both adults and children.  They have also organized
very special "Youth Activities" to meet the needs of young ones and, of
course, everything is German-related!

If interested on finding out more about the AHSGR, or any links to
Lowlander migration and history, please visit
http://www.ahsgr.org.  I believe they may also have a German-only
webpage!  If you would like to find out more about
the upcoming convention, ie., hotel, events list, travel plans, contact
information...etc., please visit the direct link for this
year's international convention at
http://www.ahsgr.org/2003Conv/2003conv.htm.

Finally, with respect to Ron and his hard work on the List, I would like
to help encourage any interested parties to "join
together" as a group of LL-L delegates for this convention.  Of course,
I will be happy to gather any information to share
with the List after the Convention has finalized.  Or, if there are any
LL-Ler's who can not attend, but have specific
questions they would like answers to, please feel free to contact me
directly at tetja at sbcglobal.net .  As well, if there
are any LL-Ler's in the SF Bay Area and would like to arrange "group
travel plans," or anything of that nature, I will be
happy to help.

Kindest Regards,
Tetja Ann

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks for the announcement, dear Tetja, and especially for the positive
and constructive LL-L attitude!

I hope other LL-Lers will join you at the event.  There is a very slight
chance that I will show up for a day or two.  I hope others will attend,
certainly some from the Greater Westcoast area, including Idaho,
Montana, British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, California, Utah and
Arizona, perhaps even Alaska.

It might be nice to make some Lowlands-L flyers to pass around, perhaps
in English, German, Northern Lowlands Saxon (Low German) and Mennonite
Lowlands Saxon (Plautdietsch).  We could take some info from our intro
page, just would have to add a German version.

Tetja, how can people register, arrange accommodation and find out
more?  Is there a website?

I am afraid the trip from Seattle to Yakima takes longer than one hour
(unless you fly), because it takes you across the Cascade Mountains via
Snoqualmie Pass.  By car it takes about three hours, by Greyhound coach
a little under five hours (when the Pass is snow-free, which it should
be then); so allow for that, and allow for getting off here and there to
enjoy the spectacular views.  If you come from the east, it should take
about four hours by car and six hours by coach from Spokane, Washington,
and about 5 hours by car and eight hours by coach from Coeur D'Alene,
Idaho.  If you come from the south, it should take about  5 hours by car
and eight hours by coach from Portland, Oregon (via White Salmon,
Klickitat, Goldendale and Toppenish on the Washington side).  If you
come from British Columbia, Canada, add another 2-2.5 hours drive from
Vancouver to Seattle, and from the east of the Province or from Alberta
you might save time by staying east of the Cascade Mountains, going
through Spokane or Okanogan (ca. 4-5 hours by car and 7 hours by coach).

Yakima County is predominantly agricultural area, with large Hispanic
and Native American  populations.  The Yakima Indian Reservation (of the
Yakama Nation) takes up about 50% of the county, and most towns are at
the edge of the Reservation.  As for accommodation, if Yakima City is
full up, you might consider finding accommodation in one of the towns
within easy commute; e.g., Naches, Selah, Moxee City, Wapato, Toppenish,
White Swan or Sunnyside.  (Ask at Heritage College in Toppenish if they
have vacant dormitory rooms.)  In summer, it can get very hot in that
region east of the mountains, much, much hotter than in Seattle (which
doesn't take much), but do take along a jacket or sweater for those cool
nights.