LL-L "Morphology" 2003.05.11 (07) [D/E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun May 11 18:59:41 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.May.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Morphology"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Morphology
>
> By and large, the use of definite and indefinite articles in the
> Germanic languages, including our Lowlands ones, is consistent.

There are some differences in the use of the definite article
between Scots and English. Mainly, English drops the definite
article before a noun signifying an institution, eg:

going to school - gaun tae the schuil

he's in hospital - he's in the ospital/infirmary

> Q 3: Might the (assumedly) relative scarcity of this device in English
> (and Scots?) be due to Celtic influence?  (I believe that articles are
> rarely or never used with names in Gaelic. I am even less sure about the
> other Celtic languages of the British Isles.)

The definite article is used with names in Scots to indicate
respect, at least in the sense that the person referred to is
"one of a kind". Thus Sir William Wallace and King Robert I
of Scotland are referred to as "The Wallace" and "The Bruce".
Similarly, the main representative of a family in a village,
such as the father or the eldest son or whoever is most
"kenspeckle" (non-nondescript) might be referred to in this
way. Thus I was often referred to as "The Fleemin" when I
lived in the village, although now this is more likely to be
used for my younger brother.

As another example, we had a Scottish software engineer where
I last worked who was known by his surname "McWhinnie". There
came a time when my team was in urgent need of a particularly
complex software feature, which by dint of very hard work and
lots of skill and experience he produced very quickly. After
that I always referred to him as "The McWhinnie" - the
significance of this perhaps lost on the English engineers
down here?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: "luc.hellinckx at pandora.be" <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>

Beste liëglanners,

Very interesting topic, the use of articles with personal names.

As for Brabantish, I must say we also use them in association with a
person's name, but never if some sort of a title is already present,
e.g.:

(12) De Wim (or _Lommen_ in older Brabantish) és braa gierig.
(14) De Katrin komt van 'n noen eten.

So, we won't say :

(13) De Madam Van Mulders és naëg vriendelijk

but rather

"Madam Van Mulders és naëg vriendelijk"...or "Meniër Van Mulders és nog
vriendelijker"

This is probably due to the fact that _Madame_  and _Mijnheer_ already
contain the possessive pronouns _Ma_ and _Mijn_.

Moreover, it strikes me that with female given names this usage is far
less prevalent. Very often we also add
_e(n)_ at the end of the male person's name, like:

"De Lukke kan dàà ni ààn doen"   (for "Luke can't help it")
"Den Trikken eit da dàà goed oëtgefaëcheld"   (for "Patrick unravelled this
matter really well")
"De Seppe gàà traave binneköt"  (for "Jeff's gonna get married very
soon")

As far as I know French doesn't have similar features, so this would
indeed corroborate Ron's hypothesis, attributing it to Celtic influence.
It does not explain though why standard Dutch doesn't have it either.
Besides, apparently Iberian Portuguese seems to use articles as well in
this respect and yet northwestern Gallego for example has a solid Celtic
substrate.

A relatively late continental German evolution sounds logical but how on
earth these Romance (non-French, I believe) influences got to Germany is
a mystery to me. The Southern Lowlands have been Spanish property for
quite some time, but I doubt that they could have exerted such an
influence that later on the whole of Germany decided to copy this
characteristic. Geographical distribution east of Cologne might shed a
light on this issue.

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx...aka "De Luk(ken)"