LL-L "Gender" 2003.05.14 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 23:12:47 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.MAY.2003 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: globalmoose at t-online.de (Global Moose Translations)
Subject: LL-L "Gender" 2003.05.14 (07) [E]

> Most neutrally yours,
> Reinhard/Ron

I must try and keep this conversation going just because I am curious
how
much more neutral you can get... :-)

Gabriele

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Gender

I wrote:

> Certainly in American English
> it is now incorrect, at least strange, to use words like "manageress" or
> "Jewess", words like "actress" and "waitress" are making way for neutral
> "actor" and "waiter" (or "waitperson"), while words like "nurse",
> "nanny", "doctor", "dentist", "soldier", "hairdresser", "priest",
> "pastor", "rabbi" and "dressmaker" are fast losing their gender-specific
> connotations, and the days of "male model" (versus "model" = female) and
> "male prostitute" (versus "prostitute" = female) are probably numbered,
> certainly those of "male nurse."

I forgot to mention one of my favorites: "directrice" (female director).

I suppose feminine derivations that come with French words or are
treated like French words (e.g., "Jewess", "lioness") in English are
similar to the case of (_mu`allima_ >) _muälimä_ for 'female teacher' in
addition to masculine (_mu`allima_ >) _muälim_ in Uyghur.  The difference
seems to be that Uyghur speakers rejected such gender-based imported
distinctions as alien right away, while in English they are gradually
biting the dust.

Gabriele:

> > Most neutrally yours,
> > Reinhard/Ron
>
> I must try and keep this conversation going just because I am curious how
> much more neutral you can get... :-)

Don't push it!  I may be neutral -- at least try hard to be -- with
regard to ethnicity, nationality, "race," religion, politics [huh?!],
education, sexual orientation, gender and whatever, but ... if you
expect me to go as far as saying "neutralized" or "neutered," you have a
long wait ahead of you.

From: "Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann" <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
Subject: LL-L "Gender" 2003.05.14 (04) [E/LS]

Hi, Swineegels, Lowlanders, Gabriele, Ron,

Gabriele wrote (look to the end of this posting):

> I brought you here, so don't YOU be the swineegel who starts it! :-)

> Fiete, what century are you living in, for (insert your favourite Higher
> Being here)'s sake? Why would that be different for women?

sorry and shame on me, but-

if You don't see the little difference (three cheers for it!) let me
tell a
true story about my homelands (happening at this- no, the former
century).

When I was married for the first time with an attractive woman from
Southern
Hanover (unable to speak "LS") I told her, she should try to be freindly
every man, but neverever let her immediately be called by her first
name.
She neglected- and the result was as I had feared: male, drunken  people
tried (sorry) to touch her breasts...
We don't live on any moon, here, and not far away from civilized
regions,
but every "wo"man has to keep some distinction, distance to beware
herself
from being aspected to be free for anyone's conquerous ambitions.

Just one or two years later she wouldn' t have made this experience, for
she
would have been aspected as "one of the community", belonging to me and
being a member in our social construction.

I have to confess: times did change since that!

Look at Ron, writing to the same subject:
 [> Fiete, what century are you living in, for (insert your favourite
Higher
> Being here)'s sake? Why would that be different for women?]

: * The brief answer is "Yes, lots."*

Regards, so far:

Fiete.