LL-L "Attire" 2003.05.16 (06) [E/S]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 19:59:56 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.May.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Gender" 2003.05.15 (07) [E]

on 16/5/03 3:40, Lowlands-L at sassisch at yahoo.com wrote:
Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
> Where I last worked, the dress code was that men should wear
> smart trousers, shirt, tie and jacket, but for women it was
> merely that they should "dress smartly". This is blatant
> discrimination, but not something that's likely to change
> in the business world as long as clients are going to look
> askance at our managing director turning up to meet them in
> his little black dress
A very talented lady I knew with strong Feminist views worked as an exec
for
BP here in Brisbane. A circular went round all senior management
instructing
them to wear ties at all Board meetings. Charmaine bought the loudest,
ghastliest tie she could find and turned  up at the nexy meeting waering
this with a cute girly chintzy dress. She got her message across, order
was
rescinded.
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae PSOC
Brisbane Australia
"The masonnis suld mak housis stark and rude,
To keep the pepill frome the stormes strang,
And he that fals, the craft it gois all wrang."

----------

From: globalmoose at t-online.de (Global Moose Translations)
Subject: LL-L "Attire" 2003.05.15 (10) [E]

Ron wrote:

> P.S.: A wird tae the wylie: Dinna tent the Global Moose (that sleeket,
> cowran, ill-deedie beastie)!  *Onie* gadgie, chield or carle wi a
> Scottish accent maks her hyte an bathered, an breeks, trews, mini or fil
> e-beag maks no odds.

This had me in stitches for at least half an hour... although you really
shouldn't be exposing me and my dark obsessions like this! There must be
some International Rodent Protection Law against it. :-)

Sandy, I would have to know what a cheongsam is first (see, a linguistic
question - we're not digressing!!). At any rate, I'm happy to be hear
that
practically all the men on this board have shapely legs.

Wearing a kilt in Scotland as a foreigner probably has the same effect
as
wearing lederhosen or dirndls in Bavaria as a foreigner (which includes
Germans from outside Bavaria). Especially American tourists like to do
this.
I've never heard of any of the locals getting angry at them; all they do
is
make fun of them (or may get slightly annoyed at those who try too hard
"belong").

Sleekitly,
Gabriele Kahn

P.S. Hey, you almost make me sound like Betsy Bell:

O my name is Betsy Bell, in the Gallowgate I dwell.
Nae doot you'll wonder whit I'm daein' here.
Well, I'm lookin' for a man, be he auld or be he young,
And onything in breeks will dae wi' me.

Well, 'twas on last Friday nicht I met auld Sandy Wricht,
And he asked me for tae be his lovin' bride.
But I couldnae let him see I was desperate as could be,
So I tellt him for tae come awa' inside.

Well, he jumpit at the chance, aye, it fairly made me dance,
And I gied tae him my answer there and then,
But when I'd bought my wedding frock, he said,
"Lord, it's a' a joke!"
O, I wonder fit's a dae wi' a' the men.

So if there's onybody here wha wad like a nice wee dear,
Although I'm only three score and ten,
Be he young or be he auld, curly-heided, fringed, or bald,
O, I wonder fit's a dae wi' a' the men.

For of lads I've had my share; I've had a score or mair,
But why they threw me up I dinna ken.
For I'm neither prood nor shy, that the lads should pass me by.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Attire

Tom (above):

> She got her message across, order was rescinded.

Good on her!
(Translation for Americans: "Good for her!" -- with emphasis on "on"
rather than on "her")

> Sandy, I would have to know what a cheongsam is first (see, a linguistic
> question - we're not digressing!!).

Derived from Cantonese (pronounced _chang2shan1_ in Mandarin), literally
meaning "long dress," denoting a long, fairly tight-fitting (usually
silken) dress with a high collar and with slits up to about the knees --
those little numbers that are associated with 1930s Shanghai high-life
and Hong Kong fantasies like in "The World of Susy Wong."

> Wearing a kilt in Scotland as a foreigner probably has the same effect as
> wearing lederhosen or dirndls in Bavaria as a foreigner (which includes
> Germans from outside Bavaria).

But lederhosen and dirndl dress designs aren't clan-governed and policed
by a self-instated Lederhosen- and Dirndl Controlling Society.

Cheers!
Reinhard/Ron

Gabriele:

> P.S. Hey, you almost make me sound like Betsy Bell:

Naw, she wis mair parteecular: