LL-L "Lexicon" 2003.05.19 (09) [E/S]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon May 19 23:58:48 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.May.2003 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kenneth Rohde Christiansen <kenneth at gnu.org>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2003.05.19 (07) [E/LS]

I only know that we in Danish use "facon" [fæssong] meaning something
like manner.

Maybe we got it though Low Saxon? or the other way around,

Cheers, Kenneth

From: "Ben J. Bloomgren" <godsquad at cox.net>

Well, Ron, those words came from wrong French words. For fashion, as in
"That dress is in vogue right now" is "La mode."
Façon is like saying, "In that way." In that sense that loan is correct,
but
the other sense is weird. As for

méchant, you are right. It means spiteful or malicious. I cannot say if
other Lowlanders use it, but it is a good word.