LL-L "Resources" 2003.05.20 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue May 20 15:42:10 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.MAY.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2003.05.19 (05) [E]

on 20/5/03 3:56, Colin Wilson <lcwilson at btinternet.com> wrote:

> An independent station wouldn't be publicly funded, and would need to
> make its revenue from advertising.
Here in Brisbane we have a weekly Scots radio programme as part of our
local
Ethnic Radio Network. I acted as an announcer on it for a couple of
years.
Funds were obtained via dues paid into Radio 4EB, the station involved
which
covered many ethnic groups. We also raised funds from regular social
functions, raffles, and sales of a booklet I wrote on Scottish history
(Now
out of print). We were always hovering on the brink of bankruptcy but
made
it nonetheless, it CAN be done.
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae PSOC
Brisbane Australia
"The masonnis suld mak housis stark and rude,
To keep the pepill frome the stormes strang,
And he that fals, the craft it gois all wrang."

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Tom,

I agree it can be done, and I applaud you for having helped with that in
Brisbane.  When I lived in the Perth (Western Australia) area we had a
similar setup, though unfortunately no Scots at the time -- Radio 6NR,
now run from the campus of Curtin University (formerly West Australian
Institute of Technology).  Apparently it's still going strong.  It also
functions as an outreach center for other population groups, such as
youths and seniors.

However, isn't this only possible because of the way things have been
set up in Australia, where, like in Canada, relatively much is being
done to create access for and to immigrant languages?  Remember that
these are *immigrant* (Australian "migrant") languages, not indigenous
ones.  Well, come to think of it, I don't think there would be any
opposition or lack of support if people wanted to create programming in
indigenous languages.  I assume it all depends on if groups get their
organizing and funding acts together.

I am a bit out of touch, so please indulge me?  Is Radio 4EB
(http://www.4eb.org.au/) independent or government-run, or a bit of
both?  Could such a thing be replicated in Scotland?