LL-L "Games" 2003.05.27 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 22:44:53 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.MAY.2003 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "ezinsser" <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2003.05.27 (04) [E]

Hi Ron and all,

You're saying about 'dolos': "But what a weird name for a bone toy for
children!"

Keep in mind that the 'dol' particle (meaning 'dumb' here) gives
adjectival
meaning to the 'os' - particle. A real ox would react to a whip; this
make belief
animal can only be pulled/dragged along.
Incidentally, my dad tells me that theirs came with long hide whips and
all.

If you think about it, a Barbie doll or toy gun is pretty dull in
comparison.

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser