LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.11.01 (01) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Nov 1 21:21:01 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.NOV.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mathieu. van Woerkom <Mathieu.vanWoerkom at student.kun.nl>
Subject: Language varieties

Arthur Jones wrote:

> Whether souls, Saints, or Samhain, the region is worth driving and/or
> hiking around to experience the variety of dialects of Plattduutsch.
> The accent and even some vocabulary differ excitingly from one village
> to another (perfect for a pub crawl).

Indeed, the dialects of neighbouring villages are different from each other,
which makes it a very interesting area (even though this occurs in almost
every
region I'm aware of ;-) -- at least in the Netherlands).

I must add, though, that the language varieties in Limburg and neighbouring
parts of Germany are *not* Plattduutsch; I feel that Limburgish is a
transition
area between the Low-Franconian varieties (in the Netherlands and Belgium)
and
the Central-Franconian varieties in Germany (region of Köln [Kölle] and a
bit
further to the south-east)

> Personally, I believe it is also the convergence of the usages of
> "graag" as
> opposed to "gaarn". (Ik zul graag... Ik zul gaarn). Add to that the
> checkered past as the home of "plunderaars en veedieven", and I had
> difficulty distinguishing between Nederduits and Niersaessisch.

As far as I know, Dutch 'graag' is 'gaer'  or 'gaere' in (the southern
dialects
of) Limburgish; I'm not sure about the Limburgish dialects in Belgium and
Germany...

regards!
Mathieu
www.streektaal.net