LL-L "Delectables" 2003.11.06 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Nov 6 21:05:48 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.NOV.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Anja Meyfarth <anja-meyfarth at t-online.de>
Subject: Delectables

Moin Lowlanders!

Now really good times have begun: Tonight I started the Grönkohl-season! My
mother uses to put potatoes in it to get it smooth, but I know that
otherwise oat flakes are used.
Are there other season specialities that now are made again?

Greetings from Kiel,

Anja with mulled wine in her stomach (and Geele Köm)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>

Thanks, Anja!

For the benefit of those among us who are not from your and my neck of the
woods (Northern Germany and the Netherlands) let me hasten to explain that
Lowlands Saxon (Low German) _Grönkohl_ (German _Grünkohl_, Dutch
_boerekool_) is kale.  Kale dishes are traditionally eaten in the
wintertime, especially in the Christmas and New Year's season, usually
beginning in November.  There are many local and family-specific variants of
this tradition, and most people believe that other regions' and family's
variants and recipes are not up to their own standards.  Thus, Anja's
request for comparing notes should be interesting.

We never put *any*thing into kale other than salt, and this is the way I
still make it these days.

Let me also explain that folks with traditional taste will not even consider
eating kale, brussel sprouts and other cruciferous winter vegetables until
they have gotten some frost.

However, let it be known that not every family in the region follows this
tradition.  While in my family, too, we had kale dishes in the winter, they
were not specifically associated with the Christmas season.  This was a
tradition of those who followed local traditions.  My parents' parents and
their ancestors were easterners and followed eastern traditions with
Slavonic influences.  My parents did not significantly change those.  Potato
salad, potato dumplings, red cabbage (with apples and juniper berries) and
wieners were seasonal treats for us, apart from various baked goods, among
them poppyseed cakes and cookies for a true eastern touch.

Kale is very, very good for you, contains loads of calcium, vitamins and
cancer-preventing goodies.   So do yourselves a favor and eat some kale.
This is the season for it.  We'll provide you with recipes if you need any.

Anja:

> Anja with mulled wine in her stomach (and Geele Köm)

Uh-oh! We'd better watch out!

Another treat of the season, a non-alcoholic one enjoyed before bed, is warm
or hot elderberry juice, traditionally made from the berries one picks
during the warm season.  You can buy pure bottled juice in Germany's
Reformhäuser (health food and supplement stores).  Now that's another thing
I can recommend.  It's super-good for you, besides traditional, and it sure
helps you sleep.  (I know, many people make elderberry wine, especially in
Britain, but that's a different matter.)

Enjoy!