LL-L "Delectables" 2003.11.07 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 7 15:54:45 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.NOV.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Thomas byro <thbyro at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2003.11.06 (07) [E]

Ron

it was my family's tradition to make elderberry juice.  We used to pick the
berries in the wild.  I continue the tradition but I make a jelly from the
juice.It is the tastiest jelly in the known universe.  I have about 20
locations where I pick the berries and I will not reveal those locations to
anyone.

Tom Byro

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Delectables

Thanks, Tom.

> I have about 20
> locations where I pick the berries and I will not reveal those locations
> anyone.

Not even to your dear, delightful Lowlands cohorts, huh?  That's a shame.
;-)

I assume those are the North American variety (_Sambucus canadensis_).  I
really don't know if the berries taste different from their Eurasian
counterparts (_Sambucus nigra_).  I have seen some of the former grow here
in the Pacific Northwest, and the trees seem smaller and sparser to me.  I
know that the berries were and are eaten and tea was and is made from the
leaves and flowers among indigenous Americans, all of it very good for you
apparently, and all of it found in Europe as well.

As we discussed on Lowlands-L a while back, the elderberry tree (bush?)
plays a significant role in North European cultures, including those of the
Lowlands.  The tree with its small, white snowflake-like flowers and dark,
staining berries is traditionally said to be inhabited by a mostly
benevolent female spirit, the prototype of Frau Holle (of Grimm's tale
fame).  The wood is not supposed to be used, for the spirit will follow it
wherever it is taken, and it will not be so benevolent then.  If one breaks
off any of the wood one is supposed to lay it down at the foot of the tree.
The tree is considered a haven, offering shelter from danger, something like
the lap of kindly Lady Holle.  In the past it also conveniently served as
the hiding place of choice for lovers (bearing in mind that elderberry trees
typically grew at the edges of villages and towns).  All this goes back to
goddess worship and among Germanic peoples is linked with the deity called
Freya.  Clearly, basic elements of fertility and sustenance beliefs and
rituals are consistent with Eurasian goddess worship.  It so happens (?)
that the flowers, fruits and berries indeed come with extraordinary health
benefits, have curative powers and induce calmness and sleep, which adds to
the "nursing and lullaby" aspects of the tree's folkloristic role.

I too remember with fondness elderberry picking expeditions in Northern
Germany, in great part because those used to be true family activities, as
were picking blueberries and going mushroom hunting in the woods.  Helping
my mother process the berries and sitting around the table and listening to
stories while sipping hot elderberry juice or toddy during the cold season
belongs to my fonder memories.  Alas, wild elderberries, blueberries and
mushrooms are now close to extinction, as is story-telling ...  (Oops! Now I
made myself sound *really* ancient!)

Enjoy!